Place to practice strafe jumps on cod4?

Have a question you need to ask? Need help? Ask here!

Moderator: Core Staff

waytofail
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Place to practice strafe jumps on cod4?

Post by waytofail » January 27th, 2008, 3:35 pm

I'm trying to learn to strafe jump, and im very noob at it. Any good places for beginners jumps on cod4? I've only found one on downpour so far (across 2 tree stumps) but its quite a technical jump/landing, so I wanted something easier to try.
Also, could anyone come onto a server and give me pointers as to where im going wrong? I cant seem to get the flick and jump timing right :(
thanks in advance

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » January 27th, 2008, 3:49 pm

A few days ago Luke made a gap training map, it's the perfect custom map to test your strafe jumps:

viewtopic.php?t=6742&start=0

Or you try the one Drofder made:

viewtopic.php?t=6704&start=0

Regarding strafe jumps, have you checked the strafe jumping tutorial found on youtube ? It's made in CoD2 but you use the same method in CoD4. It's worth a look, just follow this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOEinzwFp10
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

waytofail
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by waytofail » January 27th, 2008, 4:33 pm

I did check the tut, and thanks for fast reply.
When jumping, do i stop the flick when im looking at where I want to go, or do I flick past it, and jump when im looking at what I want to jump at?

Edit: Im slowly getting the hang of it, ish. Whats the maximum you can jump normally? (w/o strafe?)

waytofail
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by waytofail » January 27th, 2008, 11:49 pm

Iv'e made a 240 jump a few times (im not even sure if thats cos i strafe jumped, or cos i got a lucky jump??) but im still struggling. I read that other thread in this section, but it was of little help. How fast should I filck the mouse, and does it need to be more fluid, or sharp?

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » January 28th, 2008, 12:17 am

The key to strafe jumping is firstly knowing why it works...

A strafe jump works because while strafing (and during the flick), the game engine works out your speed as much faster than normal running speed.

As a beginner start your run up at a (roughly) 60 degree angle to the platform you are jumping to.
Start your run up striaght ahead, once you are closer to the platform hit your strafe key (towards the edge).
Now, flick your mouse very quickly but keeping control (you may want to start slow and fluid) towards the destination.
You should end up (at a beginner stage) facing the platform you should land on, later when you get better, flicking slightly further will provide you more distance.
close to the end of the flick, you will need to press jump, do not press it too early or your flick will not change your path, do not flick to late because you will lose you momentum and the distance you jump will be minimal.

The best time to press jump is at the jumps shortest point. Most cases this will be when you are perpendicular to your target.

You will no when you get it right, because you should travel in a straight line in the direction you are facing.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » January 28th, 2008, 12:33 am

You mean Hitler? And no, I can't be bothered right now, tired.

aicaramba
Past/Inactive Team Member

Post by aicaramba » January 28th, 2008, 12:35 am

Drofder2004 wrote:The key to strafe jumping is firstly knowing why it works...

A strafe jump works because while strafing (and during the flick), the game engine works out your speed as much faster than normal running speed.

As a beginner start your run up at a (roughly) 60 degree angle to the platform you are jumping to.
Start your run up striaght ahead, once you are closer to the platform hit your strafe key (towards the edge).
Now, flick your mouse very quickly but keeping control (you may want to start slow and fluid) towards the destination.
You should end up (at a beginner stage) facing the platform you should land on, later when you get better, flicking slightly further will provide you more distance.
close to the end of the flick, you will need to press jump, do not press it too early or your flick will not change your path, do not flick to late because you will lose you momentum and the distance you jump will be minimal.

The best time to press jump is at the jumps shortest point. Most cases this will be when you are perpendicular to your target.

You will no when you get it right, because you should travel in a straight line in the direction you are facing.
I'd change that flicking into turning your mouse, turn it fast but gently. The most common mistake made with strafejumping is to make a violant, seemingly uncontrolled, overdone throw with the mouse. Just turn fast but GENTLY.
P.S.V. Kampioen!

waytofail
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by waytofail » January 28th, 2008, 4:38 pm

Thanks for all the help, I'm slowly getting the hang of it :D
Got my fps onto 333 and managed a 260 unit thing, so im pretty happy :) Gonna keep practicising tho. If any of you fancy showing me some jumps and stuff my xfire is : agouranga
cheers again :)

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » January 28th, 2008, 4:47 pm

aicaramba wrote:I'd change that flicking into turning your mouse, turn it fast but gently. The most common mistake made with strafejumping is to make a violant, seemingly uncontrolled, overdone throw with the mouse. Just turn fast but GENTLY.
Yep, thats what I meant by quick but controlled :)
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

aicaramba

Post by aicaramba » January 28th, 2008, 5:33 pm

waytofail wrote:Thanks for all the help, I'm slowly getting the hang of it :D
Got my fps onto 333 and managed a 260 unit thing, so im pretty happy :) Gonna keep practicising tho. If any of you fancy showing me some jumps and stuff my xfire is : agouranga
I strongly recommend u to practice jumping with 125 fps. 333 fps only helps in very few occasion, and its usually harder to learn how to jump with 125 fps when ur used to jumping with 333fps then the other way around.
P.S.V. Kampioen!

waytofail
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by waytofail » January 28th, 2008, 8:38 pm

aicaramba wrote:
waytofail wrote:Thanks for all the help, I'm slowly getting the hang of it :D
I strongly recommend u to practice jumping with 125 fps. 333 fps only helps in very few occasion, and its usually harder to learn how to jump with 125 fps when ur used to jumping with 333fps then the other way around.
Ahh ok. Managed to get onto a few maps before, and did a 280 jump, im getting better :D