suggestion with demos

Please give us your feedback and suggestions. Spotted an error on our site? Let us know how we can improve here!

Moderator: Core Staff

xh2ro
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

suggestion with demos

Post by xh2ro » July 24th, 2007, 5:39 pm

Hello !

I have suggestion about your demos.

It is possible that you will include some tool in your demos with which we can be able to see which buttons you press when you jump.
Like small keyboard with buttons a,s,d,w,ctrl, c, space...

When you press those buttons during the jump we will see that on demos in small corner of a picture...

Please...

Neon
Too cool for CoDJumper
Too cool for CoDJumper

Post by Neon » July 24th, 2007, 6:31 pm

I don't think this is possible with the Quake Engine but i'm not sure as i heard it could be done on Quake ;/
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards...Checkmate."
"Seriously... .45k/sec it is a joke.. I could have just gone out and taken my own photos of children in this time."
"You have just become my fave youtuber!" - KillerSam in regards to myself. Win.

aicaramba
Past/Inactive Team Member

Post by aicaramba » July 24th, 2007, 11:13 pm

I believe someone allready asked the same thing.. about gapping that is..
I vaguely remember it not being possible, but im not sure.. Drofder's domain this ^^
P.S.V. Kampioen!

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » July 25th, 2007, 2:04 am

Key detection is impossible, therefore, quick answer = no.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » July 25th, 2007, 3:27 pm

KillerSam wrote:Key detection may be impossible - the result of the key presses shouldnt be impossible right? Such as a person moving right of the direction they are facing when they press the Right key - or a persons stance changing when they press crouch e.t.c.
Right?
Well of course, that's common sense. If you press thr right key, you'll strafe right. That's simple enough with one key, but when you combine multiple keys, such as strafing right, moving forwards and then jumping (so the visible effects of which keys you are pressing are minimized), I would imagine it is impossible to judge which keys are being pressed.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » July 25th, 2007, 4:57 pm

It took hundreds of lines to detect "leaning", detecting movement would be crazy. Let me attempt to explain why (although Peds's reason is one of the problems).

To detect movement to the left/right, The mod would require a few "bones" to be monitored, left arm and right arm for example.
The mod would then every 20th of a second record the current position of those bones, and then it would compare the data using distance.

If the distance between the old position of the right arm is closer to the new position of the left arm, then they player is moving right and vice versa.

That is very script heavy already, now the mod must detect rotation of the player and take that into consideration, the it must take nito consideration the stance of the player and all other kinds of crap. To get it too work would be close to impossible, and would send any scripted insane before they got to that point :P
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."

aicaramba

Post by aicaramba » July 25th, 2007, 11:47 pm

So u can do it?
P.S.V. Kampioen!

waywaaaard
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by waywaaaard » July 26th, 2007, 12:09 am

it is only nearly impossible but only nearly -> so if drofder wouldn't be lazy and has some summer holidays he's got a new project XD
THAT HANDS WERE NOT TRACED!
visit my blog: Link
Soviet wrote:Yeah, watch out, Peds will hit you with his +5 D-Battleaxe of homosexuality :roll:

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » July 26th, 2007, 1:10 am

aicaramba wrote:So u can do it?
:lol:

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » July 26th, 2007, 10:47 am

Pedsdude wrote:
aicaramba wrote:So u can do it?
:lol:
^ Exactly what happened when I read it :P

the answer to your question is...

It is plausible but close to impossible. The difficulty would be extreme and the stress of the server would not cope with the level of stress applied by all the maths involved.

So the answer is Yes, but don't expect it to ever happen.