Map records!?!?!

Please give us your feedback and suggestions. Spotted an error on our site? Let us know how we can improve here!

Moderator: Core Staff

aicaramba
Past/Inactive Team Member

Post by aicaramba » July 12th, 2007, 11:15 am

Seriously, keep it completely the way we did it in cod1, atleast thats how i feel.

NO saving, if u fall, bad luck, maps like soviet stronghold will never be abled to be done, does that matter? Not all maps were used to do records in at cod1 either.
Start: Say when u are gonna start (19:50 etc.) the timer starts then, do not move your mouse, touch any buttons before that.
Finish: You usually die at the finish, so that the finish. When u dont die at the finish, there is usually some text coming in screen that u finished. When its just some bit of text done in the map that says that u finish, as soon as u touch that.
Shortcuts: depending on the skill it takes, if its an easy jumps then only like 3 jumps are allowed (or something) if its like a 250 units jump that skips 10 jumps... Fine by me.
And i do think the fps limit should be at 125 fps, for some jumps 250/333 fps is just too big of an advantage.
P.S.V. Kampioen!

Lethal323

Post by Lethal323 » July 12th, 2007, 5:25 pm

I say my mod Idea...

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » July 12th, 2007, 6:32 pm

aicaramba wrote:Seriously, keep it completely the way we did it in cod1, atleast thats how i feel.

NO saving, if u fall, bad luck, maps like soviet stronghold will never be abled to be done, does that matter? Not all maps were used to do records in at cod1 either.
Start: Say when u are gonna start (19:50 etc.) the timer starts then, do not move your mouse, touch any buttons before that.
Finish: You usually die at the finish, so that the finish. When u dont die at the finish, there is usually some text coming in screen that u finished. When its just some bit of text done in the map that says that u finish, as soon as u touch that.
Shortcuts: depending on the skill it takes, if its an easy jumps then only like 3 jumps are allowed (or something) if its like a 250 units jump that skips 10 jumps... Fine by me.
And i do think the fps limit should be at 125 fps, for some jumps 250/333 fps is just too big of an advantage.
there are several reasons why the above rules are totally flawed and why some are being changed...

1. we want to be able to use as many maps as possible to do these jumps. So even the big maps give the hardcore something to do...
This is why allowing the savemod is a good idea, with a penalty for using it. this makes it 100% fair as nobody has an advantage.

2. Most maps have more than 1 spawn point, and therefore every time you spawn, you will more than likely spawn in a new place. this makes it unfair on those that spawn further from the starting jump than those who spawn closer. Only maps with 1 spawnpoint will be fair...

3. The finish is easily decided per map. Some maps you automatically die, some you get a message, and in those which you dont, a certain element will be added (for example, must touch wall, must /kill... whatever).

4. Shortcuts are dependant on the shortcut. In my eyes, if the shortcut you took was a jump that did not exploit the map in any way, is fair. Only shortcuts which are exploit the map layout are unfair. These things can be judged when a demo comes in.

5. FPS is a problem, but I dont think we should penalise people for having better FPS. I cannot get 250 on almost all CoD2 maps, but should people who can be forced to lower to be at my 'level'?
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

aicaramba

Post by aicaramba » July 12th, 2007, 7:28 pm

Drofder2004 wrote:
aicaramba wrote:Seriously, keep it completely the way we did it in cod1, atleast thats how i feel.

there are several reasons why the above rules are totally flawed and why some are being changed...

1. we want to be able to use as many maps as possible to do these jumps. So even the big maps give the hardcore something to do...
This is why allowing the savemod is a good idea, with a penalty for using it. this makes it 100% fair as nobody has an advantage.

2. Most maps have more than 1 spawn point, and therefore every time you spawn, you will more than likely spawn in a new place. this makes it unfair on those that spawn further from the starting jump than those who spawn closer. Only maps with 1 spawnpoint will be fair...

3. The finish is easily decided per map. Some maps you automatically die, some you get a message, and in those which you dont, a certain element will be added (for example, must touch wall, must /kill... whatever).

4. Shortcuts are dependant on the shortcut. In my eyes, if the shortcut you took was a jump that did not exploit the map in any way, is fair. Only shortcuts which are exploit the map layout are unfair. These things can be judged when a demo comes in.

5. FPS is a problem, but I dont think we should penalise people for having better FPS. I cannot get 250 on almost all CoD2 maps, but should people who can be forced to lower to be at my 'level'?

1. One way to look at it, i prefer no savemod, worked perfectly in cod1.

2. Do u have any idea how often I had to do /map_restart in jm_crispy in order to get the best spawn? I just hate it that everything is being made easy for everyone.

3. Ye.

4. Ye.

5. I dont think having 250 or 333 fps is an advantage in regular jump maps, but when there are bigger jumps/shortcuts, it does become a great advantage. In #1 u said:
Drofder2004 wrote:this makes it 100% fair as nobody has an advantage.
And now u want ppl with good pc's to have an advantage? make up your mind fool ;)
P.S.V. Kampioen!

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » July 12th, 2007, 7:58 pm

aicaramba wrote:i prefer no savemod, worked perfectly in cod1
It only 'worked' because for the period of time that it was up and running we had no savemod, so we didn't have any better options.
aicaramba wrote:u want ppl with good pc's to have an advantage?
He was saying that people who do have good PCs shouldn't be held back because of the people with poorer PCs.

Coontang
CJ G0D!
CJ G0D!

Post by Coontang » July 12th, 2007, 8:01 pm

Pedsdude wrote:
aicaramba wrote:i prefer no savemod, worked perfectly in cod1
It only 'worked' because for the period of time that it was up and running we had no savemod, so we didn't have any better options.
aicaramba wrote:u want ppl with good pc's to have an advantage?
He was saying that people who do have good PCs shouldn't be held back because of the people with poorer PCs.
I disagreed on the second thing but now it does make a tiny bit of sense...despite the fact it is a little biased to them, they payed the 1bazillion pounds for their machine, and I payed like 330 for mine, so why should they have to live on my rules...
JDogg: 'I have a video of me pissing, wanna see?'

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » July 12th, 2007, 8:11 pm

Indeed, not all things in life are fair. To make this perfectly fair you would have to get everyone to set their FPS to the maximum the worst jumper's computer can get, which would be ludicrous. People who have better computers have more of an advantage when shooting in Call of Duty, that's just life.

aicaramba

Post by aicaramba » July 12th, 2007, 8:43 pm

I know, but 125 fps is most commonly used for everything in jumping since the start. If u want limitless fps.. its fine, it will only be at my advantage, but i just dont like it. Its like: Oh, k, that cyclist has enough money, he can use steroids.. Oh, hes to poor, skill and practice only then.
P.S.V. Kampioen!

smarnca
CJ Newbie
CJ Newbie

Post by smarnca » July 12th, 2007, 11:40 pm

In a way i totaly agre with aicaramba. Hawing 500 or 1000 fps on a map....there is no strafe jumping...
Limit them cause they have more money...yes, because it's more fair (still don't know how though)
We have another limits:
-save mod gives u penalty (i do think a save mod should be allowed)
-no nades (people who have the 'skill' to use them then why not?)
-shortcuts...not allowed....if u have the skill and knowledge to use it then why not?
all of those takes some skill from us!

I realy think that we should get adwantage on our skill (nade jumps, shortcuts) and not the money (fps) that someone have. Allthough i agre that srotcuts aren't allowed so as the nades not
wanabe pro jumper xd

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » July 13th, 2007, 2:18 am

aicaramba wrote:it. Its like: Oh, k, that cyclist has enough money, he can use steroids.. Oh, hes to poor, skill and practice only then.
Bit of an exaggeration. Taking steroids is cheating, having a better PC isn't cheating. If you're going to put examples of cycling, then take two people: 1 buys a better cycling machine to practice on than the other and consequently trains better and gets better. He's not cheating, he's just making the most of his resources. You can never have these kind of things as being perfectly 'fair'.
smarnca wrote:I realy think that we should get adwantage on our skill (nade jumps, shortcuts) and not the money (fps) that someone have. Allthough i agre that srotcuts aren't allowed so as the nades not
I think we're going to have to call some votes on certain rules in the near future, clearly there is no one perfect set of rules.

Neon
Too cool for CoDJumper
Too cool for CoDJumper

Post by Neon » July 13th, 2007, 2:26 am

Pedsdude wrote: Bit of an exaggeration. Taking steroids is cheating, having a better PC isn't cheating. If you're going to put examples of cycling, then take two people: 1 buys a better cycling machine to practice on than the other and consequently trains better and gets better. He's not cheating, he's just making the most of his resources. You can never have these kind of things as being perfectly 'fair'.
Look at Formula 1 and other race types. They limit how fast cars can go, because otherwise the richer car companies will allways dominate...
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards...Checkmate."
"Seriously... .45k/sec it is a joke.. I could have just gone out and taken my own photos of children in this time."
"You have just become my fave youtuber!" - KillerSam in regards to myself. Win.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » July 13th, 2007, 3:40 pm

Neon wrote:
Pedsdude wrote: Bit of an exaggeration. Taking steroids is cheating, having a better PC isn't cheating. If you're going to put examples of cycling, then take two people: 1 buys a better cycling machine to practice on than the other and consequently trains better and gets better. He's not cheating, he's just making the most of his resources. You can never have these kind of things as being perfectly 'fair'.
Look at Formula 1 and other race types. They limit how fast cars can go, because otherwise the richer car companies will allways dominate...
Now lets throw the same scenario into another sport.
Football. the bigger richer clubs can buy the better players. Although there is a limit, the limit is still set high enough to allow the better clubs to buy the better players.

how about we stop trying to compare rules to other sports or whatever because EVERY set of rules is different. Record-Jumping is now an e-sport, it shall haves its own rules.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

aicaramba

Post by aicaramba » July 13th, 2007, 4:07 pm

Pedsdude wrote:Indeed, not all things in life are fair. To make this perfectly fair you would have to get everyone to set their FPS to the maximum the worst jumper's computer can get, which would be ludicrous. People who have better computers have more of an advantage when shooting in Call of Duty, that's just life.
If ppl with good pc's like to get the max out of it, they could also try maxing up cod2 single player or other high demanding games like CoH, run that game at max and youll stress out even the best computer there is. They dont HAVE to use the max of their pc's doing some records, because i doubt they bought it just for that.
333 fps also allows u to do more shortcuts, is that fair to then? but who am i to complain... :wink:
P.S.V. Kampioen!

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » July 14th, 2007, 1:29 pm

I don't mind people getting an awesome PC for good graphics etc and better speed. But using your PC to gain an advantage over other people (Prime example is the 500/1000FPS bug in-game) I consider that cheating.
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

Coontang
CJ G0D!
CJ G0D!

Post by Coontang » July 14th, 2007, 1:35 pm

whats the 500 to 1000 fps bug?
JDogg: 'I have a video of me pissing, wanna see?'