CJ G0D!

Overclocking - is it worth it?

Post by Coontang » June 4th, 2007, 8:50 pm

Hi, ive got a pretty average system

3300+ sempron
nvidea 6600ve 512mb gfx
200gb hd
1gig ram.

I DO NOT KNOW MY POWER SUPPLY. IM USING THE SETTINGS IT CAME WITH.
Im seriously considering overclocking the graphics card. It can run css at pretty high, but if i go onto hl2 lost coast with pretty decent (well 'good' graphics) im getting about 10 fps at the start (if that.)so then i have to run it in dx7 meh ugly. Im wondering - my computer came with a 1 year rtb warrenty and i bought the graphics card seperately from the same place. i have had it 6 months (ish). Should i overclock the graphics card slowly? i mean, already the 7600 kicks the living shit out of it. I am also considering getting a 7600. from...here:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products ... uid=106578

from the comments it seems pretty good, running very good graphics (i have to use cod 2 on dx7 aswell, it cant handle it.).

So in the end, seems like i wont be using the 6600ve much longer due to upgrading. So could i overclock it a bit until im happy to upgrade, and give my dad this card for his setup? (he doesnt use games, mostly music, videos etc. but if the time comes and he wants to use some program this could boost it a bit.)

What do you think guys?

EDIT: i run cod 2 at 1152 x 864 (or somethin) with max settings on dx7. If i overclocked do you think i would manage dx9 and decent graphics, decent resolution and 2xaa? At the moment i struggle to get 125fps on carentan on these settings. Oh, and overclocking the cpu is an option.
JDogg: 'I have a video of me pissing, wanna see?'

Ownia
Past/Inactive Team Member

Post by Ownia » June 4th, 2007, 10:34 pm

The card seems to be okay. Although You could throw away the sempron imho. get an Opetron : )

Im using Ati x800 with Opteron 1.8 ghz and I play all the games with max graphs now. altho i have an uber motherboard and memories with it :)

Inferiority of the voice inside made me turn my back on...

waywaaaard
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by waywaaaard » June 4th, 2007, 10:50 pm

not topic
@Ownia dont answer to this post - rather more send me please the damn lyric of Anyone of You!
THAT HANDS WERE NOT TRACED!
visit my blog: Link
Soviet wrote:Yeah, watch out, Peds will hit you with his +5 D-Battleaxe of homosexuality :roll:

Neon
Too cool for CoDJumper
Too cool for CoDJumper

Post by Neon » June 4th, 2007, 11:05 pm

Lev!athan wrote:not topic
@Ownia dont answer to this post - rather more send me please the damn lyric of Anyone of You!
Me too please. That song is in my top 3 songs<3
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards...Checkmate."
"Seriously... .45k/sec it is a joke.. I could have just gone out and taken my own photos of children in this time."
"You have just become my fave youtuber!" - KillerSam in regards to myself. Win.

aicaramba

Post by aicaramba » June 5th, 2007, 5:29 am

I wouldnt overclock ur CPU if u dont know what power supply you have..
The power supply will usually be a cheap brand, which easily busts when u overclock ur CPU.
P.S.V. Kampioen!

Ownia

Post by Ownia » June 5th, 2007, 9:57 am

Forgot to post about overclocking. sorry.

Overclock, but not ur cpu because it sucks. Get a decent cooler for the card and you can prolly overclock it.

Inferiority of the voice inside made me turn my back on...