Best tut to start mapping ?

Have questions about CoD2 mapping that aren't covered in the tutorials section? Post here!

Moderator: Core Staff

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Best tut to start mapping ?

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » November 27th, 2006, 1:05 pm

Been on modsonline but that's for people who already know the basics.

I like to learn how to map but the tuts on our forums aren't helping me much either :roll:

There's a tut somewhere named ''Your first room'' but I tried to look but had no sucess.
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

Luke
Past/Inactive Team Member

Post by Luke » November 27th, 2006, 1:37 pm

Well most CoD mapping tuts apply to CoD 2, the interface is the same and so are most of the options.

This should help with getting to know radiant http://www.modsonline.com/Tutorials-read-140.html don't be alarmed by all the options, you won't be using most of them to start with.

That first room tut is the only thing i can find for complete beginners, try it again and if you get stuck post back :wink:
Watch this before posting a question: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » November 27th, 2006, 2:48 pm

Cheers, will look into it later.

I've always been dreaming of converting Resident Evil maps to CoD1 but hopefully I should be able to do it in CoD2 in a few months.

All-Killer
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by All-Killer » November 27th, 2006, 3:59 pm

just begin with tutorials like: just look bij the beginner tuts by mods online both cod1 as cod2. Thats the basics for level disign, if you want to know how to make a sp map. I can tell you. Sp maps are way better than mp maps :wink: Can you imagion: a jump map with enemys 8)

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » November 27th, 2006, 4:04 pm

And there's always the community who got an answer for every question ;)

teebag
CJ Spammer!
CJ Spammer!

Post by teebag » November 27th, 2006, 4:35 pm

You dont learn everything from tutorials, I figured a lot of things out by myself, you just need to know the basics:

- How te select brushes and textures
- How to move camera
- How to create brushes and add textures
- Clippertool
- Compiling crap
- Skybox
- Lightning

Im sure I forgot some but thats the basics, you just need to figure out yourself what you can do.
Also take a look at the prefabs IW gave within the editor, make sure you learn the important stuff RIGHT instead of doing it wrong (for example, new mappers dont know shit about caulk etc).

If you know that kinda stuff, you can learn how to create terrain, alphablend, creating cylinders etc..

edit:

also, if your not sure about something, ask others before you starting learning to do things wrong lol
That's why my brother's computer doesn't need anti-virus software; 450MHz P3 doesn't meet virus's system requirements.

Luke

Post by Luke » November 27th, 2006, 7:42 pm

That tutorial for making a room isn't that good. Rather than copying and rotating the brushes for a simple box, you should just draw each brush, it doesn't take much longer and you're less likely to run into problems. also if your going to rotate something 90 degrees, use the rotate x, y, z buttons as it's quicker and ensures that it will rotate perfectly 90 degrees.
Watch this before posting a question: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » November 27th, 2006, 11:37 pm

So it's best to use Caulk every single time right ? What exactly does it do ? I don't really understand the description.

Also, how can I re-select brushes ?

Neither can I get the camara to work.

Expect more stupid questions :roll:

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » November 28th, 2006, 12:46 am

Caulk, is a complicated texture, i have learned even more about it since my last topic abut caulk (:P)

A simple explanation would be, caulk is a requirement when mapping :P
Use it everywhere, then texture the visible parts.

Select and Reselecting of brushes can be done by "Shift-clicking" (hold shift and click on the brush)

the camera works using the right-mouse button. Click the RMB then push it forward or backwards, you will soon get the hang of it...
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

Luke

Post by Luke » November 28th, 2006, 1:20 am

[SoE]_Zaitsev wrote:So it's best to use Caulk every single time right ? What exactly does it do ? I don't really understand the description.

The more you caulk, the less the engine needs to draw, which increases performance, and speeds up compiling.

You'll mostly move the camera in the 3d window with the RMB as drofder said, and you can move up and down if you do this while holding the control key. And you can move the camera in the 2d window if while holding the RMB + control, but not so easy to control being in 2d.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » November 28th, 2006, 2:02 am

Luke wrote:
[SoE]_Zaitsev wrote:So it's best to use Caulk every single time right ? What exactly does it do ? I don't really understand the description.

And you can move the camera in the 2d window if while holding the RMB + control, but not so easy to control being in 2d.
No RMB in the 2D window, Control+RMB = Quick Clipper tool ;)
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."

Luke

Post by Luke » November 28th, 2006, 2:06 am

Maybe something to do with the mouse configuration, I have mine set on 2 button :P

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » November 28th, 2006, 4:28 am

Luke wrote:Maybe something to do with the mouse configuration, I have mine set on 2 button :P
Ah, I am set to 3 mouse buttons :P

teebag
CJ Spammer!
CJ Spammer!

Post by teebag » November 28th, 2006, 9:51 am

use the right mouse button to fly trough the camera view, use WASD keys to move aswell, its quite easy. You can set camera speeds @ properties.
That's why my brother's computer doesn't need anti-virus software; 450MHz P3 doesn't meet virus's system requirements.

t3vY
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by t3vY » November 28th, 2006, 3:11 pm

this is a very good tut. i started maping with this one :)

http://www.modsonline.com/Downloads-full-3190.html

its a video tutorial...take a look :wink: