Need help with a new gametyp

Have questions about CoD2 mapping that aren't covered in the tutorials section? Post here!

Moderator: Core Staff

All-Killer
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Need help with a new gametyp

Post by All-Killer » October 18th, 2006, 4:55 pm

Maby the title is a little bit confusion but i will explain it:

For the guys who know Counter Strike you have a gametyp call ''aim'' its not a mod its just somthing in the map. Fot the guys that dont know it i will explain.

You place two teams in a map . The one left on the map the other right. And by the spawn of the players there are lying some weapons on the ground. So if you can guess you need to grab a weapon and kill the enemy. But the enemy can hide behind walls etc. And the team that hasn't any players left after 1 min (it go's fast) lose the match and the game will begon over again.

Now comes the mapping part, how do i made somthing in radiant? I already tried putting down some S&D spawns but i cound't spawn in my map so that doens't work. Maby im dooing somthin wrong just tell me. So thats problem number 1 setting the spawns. (just like in S&D)

The second problem is this: In cod2 you can choose weapons in the menu. But by CS you need to buy weapons. So is there a script, ore can someone make it, that you can only choose one weapon in the menu, but wen they spawn it will be taken from them so they cant choose what weapon they want and need to pick it up from the ground.

The last problem is: Is there any way i can add a strat time to my map (just like by PAM mod) in the map/script ?

Thanks for anyone who's reading this :D

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » October 18th, 2006, 9:25 pm

ok, so we have 3 points to make (i cannot go into to much detail, as I have to go offline in 2 seconds)...

1. Spawnpoints.
You want TDM, but so the enemy cannot get to the other side. So, what you need to do is use a spawnlogic, check inside the gsc and find _spawnlogic.gsc in there, there are plenty of functions that do different kinds of spawn, i.e far from enemy, close to enemy etc...

2. Weapon Restriction.
This can be done several ways, but the easiest way would be to disable all weapons, and make it so players spawn with nothing. Then you can use the .map file to put weapons around the map.

3. Strat time.
Open the pam gsc and just "steal" the strat function (I quote 'steal' because it is not actually stealing, its a mod, so all code is free to use, whether you wish to give credit or not).
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

All-Killer
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by All-Killer » October 19th, 2006, 2:06 pm

Oke i will wait wen you post the realy post because you had to go. But there's one mistake this is what i want for the spawn:

They spawn (team a and b)
Try to kill some people
Wen i team wins the map restart (just like in S&D but than whitout the bombs

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » October 19th, 2006, 4:22 pm

sO, we are talking last man standing?

So, let me put this into a full description...

Aim.
A Team-Last-Man-Standing gametype.
2 teams fight against each other, each player has one life per round. This continues until 1 team is completely dead, winning team being the team with at least 1 person still alive.

Ok, so what we are essentially looking at is S&D without the searching and destroying...
2 teams spawn at their spawnpoints, 2 teams battle it out in S&D style of rules (one life, no respawns), once a team is completely dead, other team wins.

Shouldn't be too hard, I will take a look into it now...
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » October 19th, 2006, 4:24 pm

Round Based Match from Medal of Honor.

It's pretty much the same as Last Man Standing.
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » October 19th, 2006, 5:36 pm

Heres a "working" version of a very basic gametype from my description, like I said it is S&D without the objectives...

RIGHT-CLICK AND SAVE AS

you will need to add the start time from PAM and also any weapon limits you want (currently, the weapons are set like TDM, you can change the weapon each spawn, but unlike S&D your weapon you pickup last round, does not carry over).

All-Killer
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by All-Killer » October 19th, 2006, 6:06 pm

oke so i just make my map put the S&D attackers and defenders spawns in it, internermission. Renamed the gsc like my map and im ready to go? And the importest thing: thank you :D

teebag
CJ Spammer!
CJ Spammer!

Post by teebag » October 19th, 2006, 6:12 pm

very nice thought out, would be very cool having 10vs10, hmm almost something like BEL gametype for CoD1. However, the dead guy has to wait a long time, this is boring. Also people dont want to die so dont expect them to rush, they rather grab a weapon and wait in a corner for the enemy.
That's why my brother's computer doesn't need anti-virus software; 450MHz P3 doesn't meet virus's system requirements.

All-Killer
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by All-Killer » October 19th, 2006, 6:21 pm

yeah but its for like 5vs5 and the maps are small so wen you spawn and youre in the strat time you can see you enemy but he can duck away etc. cover behind walls. Its really great just wait wen it comes out :D

EDIT: hmm i tested if but i can't spawn so i will post the pk3, my gsc file and .map so you can see what i'm doing wrong.
http://rapidshare.de/files/37360061/aim ... z.rar.html

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » October 19th, 2006, 6:33 pm

This is a gametype file, so would need to change gametype to use it.

I will quickly create a gsc file the will automatically call the gametype (and not screw up the rotation).

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » October 19th, 2006, 7:40 pm

Ok, couldn't get a gsc to work properly to auto-force aim gametype, so the best bet is just to either mention it in a readme, or better yet put it on the levelshot... for eaxmple...

"This map runs best on AIM gametype (provided)"

All you have to do to include the gametype with your pk3, is make sure the 2 files (aim.gsc aim.txt) are left inside the "maps\mp\gametypes" folder in your IWD, then to use the gametype, before loading the map, the gametype must be set to 'aim' (/g_gametype aim).

All-Killer
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by All-Killer » October 19th, 2006, 8:08 pm

Hmm oke but what was the problem then that i couldn't spawn in my map?

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » October 19th, 2006, 11:44 pm

erm, do you have SD spawns? You also should have DM spawns.
Erm, also, not sure what the problem is, but you also have to click or press ESC, otherwise the menu does not appear.

teebag
CJ Spammer!
CJ Spammer!

Post by teebag » October 20th, 2006, 2:03 am

The static maps are small yes, thats why IW released Radiant to create our own maps. AFAIK there are lots of good maps (huge maps), or maybe you can tell Drofder to finish that pwnage map called Pavlov :)
That's why my brother's computer doesn't need anti-virus software; 450MHz P3 doesn't meet virus's system requirements.

All-Killer
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by All-Killer » October 23rd, 2006, 12:32 pm

Oke that last man stading(aim) mod isnt needed. The only this i need is the strat time by each round ( i added S&D spawns and works perfectly) and when the player starts the weapons will be removed and need to pick it up from the ground (remove everyting accept the pistol) can someone give me the scripts of those things?