Conversion question

Have questions about CoD2 mapping that aren't covered in the tutorials section? Post here!

Moderator: Core Staff

All-Killer
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Conversion question

Post by All-Killer » October 13th, 2006, 5:42 pm

Im trying to convert a map to cod2 just by making it from the begin. But is there any trick that i can see how much meter somthing is. I was that drofder had a pic on his photobucked account with lines how big somthing is. Can you please tell how you did that?

EDIT: i heared from luke that drofder have a tool/mod that you can see the sizes, is that correct?

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » October 13th, 2006, 8:04 pm

I use a mod that I created which has only been released to one person. I do not plan on releasing it anytime soon either, but I can give you the way I done it before I had the mod... (the mod does a task that can easily be done manually)

Basically, you need to use devmap to load the map...

Code: Select all

/devmap <mapname>
Then to make life easier you can bind the following command...

/bind <key> viewpos
Now what that command does is print a message to the console in the following form.

(x, y, z) - a
x - X-Axis
y - Y-Axis
z - Z-Axis
a - Angle in relation to north.

Now you need to use a bit of maths to do some quick measurements...

First stand at location 1 and press your bind.
Then move to location 2 and press the bind.

Open your console and you will have 2 lines.

Take the distance of one of the axis and get the difference. So if you are measuring on the X axis, you do...

Axis-X(1) - Axis-X(2) = distance (distance may be negative, just ignore the negative sign)

This is where the REAL problem lies... Heres a quick diagram/explanation.
You must remember the players size. A player is exactly 32x32x72 (ignore the 72 for now)
This is the best I could do, so I hope you understand...

Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

All-Killer
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by All-Killer » October 13th, 2006, 8:09 pm

pff thanks for the info its really complicated but i will try it. Please think about releaseing that mod i will make the world a lot easier.

I tested it and i works fine i know exatcly what you mean with that picture thanks :D
Last edited by All-Killer on October 13th, 2006, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » October 13th, 2006, 8:14 pm

All-Killer wrote:pff thanks for the info its really complicated but i will try it. Please think about releaseing that mod i will make the world a lot easier.
To use the mod still requires a lot of "tutorials" to use it, it is not as easy as it sounds It just automates the calculations.
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."

All-Killer
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by All-Killer » October 13th, 2006, 9:04 pm

Hmm oke na i dont need the mod it works fine for me so but i have another question do you also have a good idee how to get the hight from somthing. is that 36 (72:2=36 just like that with the 32) ?

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » October 14th, 2006, 3:20 am

Height is a problem...

If you are measuring the height of a room, then get the position from the floor in the room, then get the position for the floor in the room above. Do not add/subtract 32, as it is not needed when dealing with height.

If you cannot get to the floor above or you cannot stand on top of the thing you are measuring, then the problem is very hard to solve, infact I have a very lame work around...

Noclip. Then move your crosshair lines so they are parallel with the top of the thing you are measuring (take your first measurement here), then without moving the mouse, use the crouch button to move down to the floor and line the floor up with the crosshair (you will need to use jump and crouch until you get a good level). You will not have to get it perfect just roughly, then take your second measurments.

Get the difference between the measurements and then work out a good result (most mappers will not map on 1 unit, so it is likely the result will be an even number, it is also likely that the number will be a multiple of 4, but not always).

All-Killer
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by All-Killer » October 14th, 2006, 11:21 am

Oke thanks for the info i will try it and will release some screens soon :D

All-Killer
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by All-Killer » October 15th, 2006, 12:32 pm

Oke i have another question, if i convert cod1 textures into cod2 wil it looks nice ore really bad? and another question wen i open a original texture from cod1 Photoshop ask: Do you want to load the original mip maps. Do i need to click yes ore no. if i click yes the texture wil be 4 times and than the first is the bigest and the last the smallest.

Luke
Past/Inactive Team Member

Post by Luke » October 15th, 2006, 2:53 pm

When I open a dds with mip maps I always select no. To make it look good in cod 2 you should save the dds in DXT5 and mip maps turned on.

All-Killer
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by All-Killer » October 15th, 2006, 3:24 pm

And do i need to chose use existing mip map ore generate mipmaps

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » October 15th, 2006, 7:42 pm

Always generate, it doesnt take up too much time and it also guarentees no mip-map problems.

If you are creating a HuD texture (anything 2d) I would recommend not using mi-maps as for some reason you lose quality (found that out yesterday doing CJ mod)

All-Killer
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by All-Killer » October 16th, 2006, 4:11 pm

So for walls no mip map oke gona test it. But the quality will be nice wen i convert cod1 to cod2 textures?

Oke i tested it, followed the tut on modsonline but i cant find the texture in radiant. This is what i did:

Open the original
Didnt opend the original mipmap
Save as DDS with DTX5 and no mipmaps
Open assest manager and follow everything
Now i have the IWI file in the images folder and by material i have my other file.

But i cant find it.

Somthing i also noticed is that in cod1 you can chance youre textures by pressing S and than in the box typ it but i cod2 that isn't possible. Do i need to do somthing in the settings?

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » October 17th, 2006, 12:06 pm

a slight mis-understanding when I said a 2D object.

2D in terms of game creation, is something that has no third-dimension (well, obviously you might think).

But take for a example a brick wall.

A brick wall seems flat, making it seem 2D, but that is not the case. Bricks have depth, depth is the third dimension.

A 2D-object in terms of gaming is usually refering to HUD or things such as Headicons, grenade indicators, objective markers.

Anything you use as aan ingame texture, you should use mip-maps.

All-Killer
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by All-Killer » October 17th, 2006, 1:49 pm

Oke but if you read my post i cant find my textures in radiant what am i doing wrong?

Luke

Post by Luke » October 17th, 2006, 2:14 pm

Usually its down to not selecting a locale in the asset manager. Also make sure you give it a surface type and usage, so you can narrow it down using the texture filters in radiant.