fps problems in cod2

Have a question you need to ask? Need help? Ask here!

Moderator: Core Staff

hambones
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

fps problems in cod2

Post by hambones » January 2nd, 2006, 3:55 am

so lately, i've been getting some real bad FPS in CoD2. i used to get only 20-60 fps on DX9 (depending if there were smokes) with 800x600 res, 75 hz refresh rate, normal textures, you know. i have a friend with a real bad card, he says his is on DX9, he has it on extra textures, 1024x768, trilinear, 32 bit, and he gets about 40-80, depending if there is a smoke thrown. my specs compared to his:

mine
128 mb radeon 9800 pro
2.8 ghz P4 HT CPU
1 gig ram

his
64 mb nvidia geforce 4 mx
2.1 ghz amd cpu (not sure which cpu it is)
448 mb ram

even though there are some specs i have left out, don't you think it's kind of weird for his computer, which is clearly not as good as mine, runs CoD2 better on DX9? i don't mind the dx7, but it's really strange for him to be getting better fps than me on higher settings.

while we're at it, i have another question. one of my friends wants to buy my ipod mini off of me. if he does buy it for a whopping $100, should i use that towards a 30GB video ipod or a ati x850xt AND a 450w PSU (i only have a 250w right now :( )

thanks in advance and all that good stuff
Last edited by hambones on January 2nd, 2006, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"It's so funny of how I think my life is supposed to be devoid of any sort of heartache or drama or anguish or pain. It's sad but I think that I make a value of my days by the times I wake up and feel somewhat normal, but what I really need to do is get out of this fucking house and get laid."

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » January 2nd, 2006, 6:16 am

Th eonly reason I can imagine that he has better fps is that Nvidia released a patch that was mainly designed to boost performance with CoD2 (and other Direct3d games).

But tbh, his card cannot run on DX9 with that fps, its virtually impossible, his card just about meets minimum requirements. Have you ever considered him lying about such things, as I would like to see his card run that well.

Edit: Forgot to answer 2nd question...

Get yourself a 400/450W PSU.
and leave the rest for an update on a video card.

Reason - your current PSU could cause problems depending on the amount of components you have but the minimum wattage for ANY modern day pc is 400W (recommended 450W).

Also, Ipods suck :P

Edit: BTW, wrong section this one is for graphics in terms of photoshopping and such.

/Moved to Support!
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

hambones
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by hambones » January 2nd, 2006, 8:08 pm

Drofder2004 wrote:
Get yourself a 400/450W PSU.
and leave the rest for an update on a video card.

Reason - your current PSU could cause problems depending on the amount of components you have but the minimum wattage for ANY modern day pc is 400W (recommended 450W).

Also, Ipods suck :P

Edit: BTW, wrong section this one is for graphics in terms of photoshopping and such.

/Moved to Support!
sorry, saw a thread called 'Gfx card' but it said graphics, and i saw other photoshop so i wasn't sure, just posted it there.

anyways, what could i get besides an ipod, i need something easy to use and has more than 4 gb of space (i only have about 500 mb left on my ipod)

and what would you do first, buy the PSU by itself and graphics card later on or save up for one trip to the store so i could buy the graphics card and PSU at the same time?

"It's so funny of how I think my life is supposed to be devoid of any sort of heartache or drama or anguish or pain. It's sad but I think that I make a value of my days by the times I wake up and feel somewhat normal, but what I really need to do is get out of this fucking house and get laid."

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » January 2nd, 2006, 11:31 pm

If you havent got the money to get the gfx card yet, then do not wait to get your PSU.

And do you want to be able to play video, or just simply have storage?
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

hambones
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by hambones » January 3rd, 2006, 12:08 am

i don't think i have the money now, but i really need something to listen to my music on, if i sell my ipod soon.

and to answer your question, i'm not sure, i don't really have any movies on my computer. my brother recently got the video ipod, oh my god it is beautiful, the picture is crystal clear. the only problem is is he only has about 200 mainstream songs on it, saw 2, and some other... "videos" on it. i'm not sure if i want the video ipod, 30 gb is $300 come on, i could buy the new graphics card for that, but i'm still not sure.

edit: the graphics card needs to be AGP if you suggest anything, i have no pcix slots on my mobo :(

Grom
Past/Inactive Team Member

Post by Grom » January 3rd, 2006, 1:13 pm

You can try to set some tweak commands too, to get some more performance:

Code: Select all

/r_multigpu "0" 
/r_gpusync "0" 
/cg_markslimit "256" ("512") If you dont mind holes in the wall dissapear, you can use this command, 
OR turn the marks completely off (/cg_marks "0") 
/ai_corpsecount "1-5" 
/r_drawsun "0" This will turn the lens flare OFF.
And btw Drof, iPod pwns :twisted:

hambones
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by hambones » January 6th, 2006, 3:51 am

well, shit.

my ipod fugged up and all the data on it got erased, so i had to reformat it. don't know if i should keep it or sell it for $100. i just counted and i have about $181 in my wallet. the 500w psu i want is $105 (yeah i know, fucking best buy[the parents don't trust newegg]) so do you guys think i'll be alright, or what should i do?

should i sell it and get the psu and have about $170 left or keep it and have just about $70 left? the world is really breaking my balls right now, well at least in my world.

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » January 6th, 2006, 4:27 am

well you can tell your parents that almost every single member of my clan of about 30 members got top-line computers from new egg with excellent support and they received great machines :P
ImageImageImage
"Zaitsev is a cunt." - Pedsdude

hambones
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by hambones » January 6th, 2006, 9:41 pm

they wouldn't even let me use their credit card to buy DoD:S off of steam, so i don't think they're going to let me buy something on newegg :(

edit: do you guys have any suggestions for cards? i was looking and saw a BFG geforce 6600 gt 256 mb for $200 and the specs sounded alot like the x850xt card. i don't know what to do though, i still need to get a PSU before i can get the card

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » January 6th, 2006, 11:45 pm

Gromgutten wrote:And btw Drof, iPod pwns :twisted:
Seconded ;)

By the way, apparantly iPod videos aren't that great because the screen is quite small and just general things about it (I was watching it on the gadget show recently - can't remember the name of the one they said was good :roll:). Try http://www.letsbuyit.co.uk or http://www.kelkoo.co.uk to compare prices and find reviews.

Personally I have a 20gb 4th generation iPod (which funnily enough I'm listening to as I'm typing this), and in my opinion it's brilliant :) If you want something for just music then get an iPod nano, if you want a video player then look more into in on one of the above websites.

hambones
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by hambones » January 7th, 2006, 12:12 am

i don't live in the UK, but thanks for the info anyways

and the ipod video screen is huge (well for an ipod at least) and the picture is crystal clear, only problem is is that videos take up alot of battery (what a surprise!).

can you guys answer my other question, about 2 posts ago?

Neon
Too cool for CoDJumper
Too cool for CoDJumper

Post by Neon » January 7th, 2006, 12:17 am

yeah ipod ftw, anything above 20G dont bother getting tbh...ive got loads music and ive only used 3G lol....waste of money<<
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards...Checkmate."
"Seriously... .45k/sec it is a joke.. I could have just gone out and taken my own photos of children in this time."
"You have just become my fave youtuber!" - KillerSam in regards to myself. Win.

hambones
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by hambones » January 7th, 2006, 1:56 am

hambones wrote:they wouldn't even let me use their credit card to buy DoD:S off of steam, so i don't think they're going to let me buy something on newegg :(

do you guys have any suggestions for cards? i was looking and saw a BFG geforce 6600 gt 256 mb for $200 and the specs sounded alot like the x850xt card. i don't know what to do though, i still need to get a PSU before i can get the card
ehhh?

Pwn-Rikku
CJ Spammer!
CJ Spammer!

Post by Pwn-Rikku » January 7th, 2006, 11:17 am

yeh peds didnt u read $? $$$? $$$$$$$$$$$$$? bahh :P i have 125 fps when i look in air and my gfx card is oldish. raedon 9200 plug and play or summat :P i could do with another one, i have to update my drivers often, since css screws up, makes it look robotic :P and green purple and gay :P
Rikku - Old skool

woCooM
PSN ID: Sanctifico

Post by woCooM » January 7th, 2006, 4:23 pm

rikku id use the 4.11 Cat drivers ( the 5.x and 6.x drivers are mainly for newer cards and lower your game fps more than anything)
Some People Look Back on WWII, I LIVE IT!
Для Матb россия!