PREVIEW: CoD4 HARDEST Jump Map: mp_sunset Walkthrough [HARD]

Have a jump map that we don't have on our site? Let us know!

Moderator: Core Staff

fre4kZ
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

PREVIEW: CoD4 HARDEST Jump Map: mp_sunset Walkthrough [HARD]

Post by fre4kZ » November 17th, 2013, 10:50 pm

Hey guys, just made a quick preview video about mp_sunset :D

Check the description about information like release date, map maker etc :d

Cheers,

fre4kZ

Jewel
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe
Gamertag: Original Lithy

Re: PREVIEW: CoD4 HARDEST Jump Map: mp_sunset Walkthrough [H

Post by Jewel » November 18th, 2013, 9:13 am

The mapping looks not interesting.

Another ruine fingers map.

Anyway, gl for the vid'

Tommy991
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Tommy991 » November 18th, 2013, 9:34 am

I'm not a mapper so I shouldn't complain much about maps, but lately only hardcore maps are released(which are fun only to pro's). There's no theme(mp_sonic, mp_portal, mp_windsor_p and more) or something to build on, no offense, but most new maps looks like shit. Just some floating platforms, rooms, bounces. Always the same ... gets kinda boring. I would love to see some new maps where mapper really put some effort in the look of the map, and offer some adventure jumping through the map. But as I said, I'm no mapper. So, who am I to judge ...

Anyway, fre4kZ gratz for the vid, though I didn't like the part of the description saying it will be your last WT.

Best regards, Tommy

Jewel
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Jewel » November 18th, 2013, 1:40 pm

Tommy991 wrote:I'm not a mapper so I shouldn't complain much about maps, but lately only hardcore maps are released(which are fun only to pro's). There's no theme(mp_sonic, mp_portal, mp_windsor_p and more) or something to build on, no offense, but most new maps looks like shit. Just some floating platforms, rooms, bounces. Always the same ... gets kinda boring. I would love to see some new maps where mapper really put some effort in the look of the map, and offer some adventure jumping through the map. But as I said, I'm no mapper. So, who am I to judge ...

Anyway, fre4kZ gratz for the vid, though I didn't like the part of the description saying it will be your last WT.

Best regards, Tommy

Finally someone who think like me \o/
You should try make map Tommy, we need more good map like mp_blu series, with a real work and not ionly put random bounce without any sense x)

x0ozero0x
PS3 Team
PS3 Team
PSN ID: x0ozero0x

Post by x0ozero0x » November 18th, 2013, 3:18 pm

Nicki wrote:
Tommy991 wrote:I'm not a mapper so I shouldn't complain much about maps, but lately only hardcore maps are released(which are fun only to pro's). There's no theme(mp_sonic, mp_portal, mp_windsor_p and more) or something to build on, no offense, but most new maps looks like shit. Just some floating platforms, rooms, bounces. Always the same ... gets kinda boring. I would love to see some new maps where mapper really put some effort in the look of the map, and offer some adventure jumping through the map. But as I said, I'm no mapper. So, who am I to judge ...

Best regards, Tommy

Finally someone who think like me \o/
You should try make map Tommy, we need more good map like mp_blu series, with a real work and not ionly put random bounce without any sense x)
Where have you two been for the past year or so? We've had all the arguments about the effort that gets put into custom maps nowadays for quite some time now. :P
Yeah the map looks terrible as it's just floating platforms (from the looks of it) but people will like it just as long as the other routes are enjoyable. People will spend the first few hours breaking their fingers on the Styx server; attempting advanced, until it then dies down and everyone gets bored of it. This map has had slightly to much hype, seeing as people have been talking about it for a few months now.

Your last walkthrough should be mp_codjumper_training, goodluck. :mrgreen:

iRaiinyy
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by iRaiinyy » November 18th, 2013, 3:31 pm

Best regards, Tommy
This is true... maps with no theme are no fun, the last map i played that was recent and has a nice theme was raymandaventure and omific... otherwise maps these days are just ugly floating platforms that ppl randomly place to make the "HARDEST" map which arn't generally fun for a average jumper.
AMD Gaming Custom Maps Only CoDJumper Server: 178.32.56.98:28960
Xfire: Wiickedneszzx

The Jumper <3: i know a girl she is 15
The Jumper <3: and have big titts
rB|iRaiinyy*@TuneChii: o.O BREAST IMPLANTS
The Jumper <3: with 15 ?
The Jumper <3: she just take the pills.

Tommy991
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Tommy991 » November 18th, 2013, 4:14 pm

x0ozero0x wrote: Where have you two been for the past year or so? We've had all the arguments about the effort that gets put into custom maps nowadays for quite some time now. :P
I remember there were some arguments about that, but nothing really changed since then so ... I'm just saying it again.

Best regards, Tommy

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » November 18th, 2013, 4:55 pm

Tommy991 wrote:So, who am I to judge ...
You are the consumer. These maps were made FOR YOU to enjoy.
Simple analogy: I don't make pizza, but that doesn't mean I cannot complain about the standards of a pizza.

I have said similar things before...

Things that make a map more fun to play are (in order of most important):
- Visuals (theme, texture usage, lighting, etc)
- Innovation (new jump concept, scripted events)
- Difficulty (flat jump distance, jump variety, length/time)

---
There is a very simple progression, each step adds "fun":
- Platform map, generic hard jumps
- Add some bounces/RPG jumps
- Make it so your bounce requires you to pass through a target before landing
- Make it so the landing zone is moving
- Change the floating platform to have purpose (connect it to a wall, floor, ceiling)
- Change the textures (and surrounding textures) to have purpose also (everything made of rocks/greenery)
All of this is easy mapping and basic scripting and will make the map much better.

Looking back through the map forum, mp_blu is a great example: Image
The map is not amazing in technical mapping, however a few things make this map better than a lot of other recent releases:
- Visual theme (the consistent use of bright colour is a theme of sorts)
- Platforms are linked to walls/floor
- Jump variations

Compare that, to: Image
- No theme
- Gravity defying platforms
- Repetitive jumps
---

Mappers. Stop asking your friends for advice or criticism, you will not get the answer need.
And friends of those mappers, if you are asked - be blunt and honest. They may be happy to hear you enjoy the map, but when everyone plays it, the results may not be so enjoyable.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

Goro92
CJ Spammer!
CJ Spammer!

Post by Goro92 » November 18th, 2013, 5:48 pm

Drofder2004 wrote: Mappers. Stop asking your friends for advice or criticism, you will not get the answer need.
And friends of those mappers, if you are asked - be blunt and honest. They may be happy to hear you enjoy the map, but when everyone plays it, the results may not be so enjoyable.
the sad truth is that the community wants that kind of maps...

Jewel
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Jewel » November 18th, 2013, 6:22 pm

This is true... maps with no theme are no fun, the last map i played that was recent and has a nice theme was raymandaventure and omific... otherwise maps these days are just ugly floating platforms that ppl randomly place to make the "HARDEST" map which arn't generally fun for a average jumper.[/quote]

I'll try make a final version of mp_omnific if you like it then :D
Goro92 wrote:
Drofder2004 wrote: Mappers. Stop asking your friends for advice or criticism, you will not get the answer need.
the sad truth is that the community wants that kind of maps...

Thats true, just look the recent maps released 3-4 month ago. Just 3-4 are really worked. The other are just a copy/past with all time same texture, floating/skybox/jump. It looks like they just make map for the jump, nothing other. but is also a means of expression and sharing of ideas something what mapper have probably forget and thats disappointing
Last edited by Jewel on November 18th, 2013, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fre4kZ
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by fre4kZ » November 18th, 2013, 7:19 pm

This map didn't try to deliver amazing mapping, because that's not what it was planned to deliver. The work hours were put in testing/modifying the bounces until they were almost impossible (This applies to hard way only).

I respect every mapper, who take their effort in mapping to the extreme and make amazing looking maps, but this map was meant to be the hardest map by having the hardest variation in almost every bounce type and not-caring about the look at all.

I personally prefer maps with nice themes and nice looks, but I don't blame this map for not having those, because it delivers the most challenging way in codjumping (I like challenges) and one of the most enjoyable routes of all time (intermediate way).

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » November 18th, 2013, 9:04 pm

Goro92 wrote:the sad truth is that the community wants that kind of maps...
No, that is not the truth, it is merely half of the truth. People want a challenge, but they do not want shitty looking maps.
fre4kZ wrote:I personally prefer maps with nice themes and nice looks, but I don't blame this map for not having those, because it delivers the most challenging way in codjumping (I like challenges) and one of the most enjoyable routes of all time (intermediate way).
Here is a way to make your floating map look better for very little effort and no change in difficulty.
- Floating platforms
Neaten up the tile textures to form perfect shapes. For example, the texture "ap_tile_kitchen" uses tiles that are 8 units².
So, make the brush you use a multiple of 8 (8, 16, 24, etc).

Tip: If the texture does not line up, select the brush (or just the face of the brush). Then hold shift. While holding shift, use the arrows keys to shift the texture on the brush (the texture will shift according to grid size).

- Bounce ramps
Use a different texture on a bouncing spot than on your platforms. It remove the repetitive texture from the map. Again, tidy the texture up for alignment

Tip: Set your texture before you rotate the brush. This will keep the texture looking correct after you rotate it (as long as you keep textures lock)

- Consistency
If you are going to surround platforms with a yellow/black "skirt", do it on every platform.
You could even use colour to signify something, such as yellow/black = "rpg jump from here", green = "normal jump".
Making your map look better takes very little effort and it is always worthwhile.
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."

fre4kZ
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by fre4kZ » November 18th, 2013, 9:08 pm

Drofder2004 wrote:
fre4kZ wrote:I personally prefer maps with nice themes and nice looks, but I don't blame this map for not having those, because it delivers the most challenging way in codjumping (I like challenges) and one of the most enjoyable routes of all time (intermediate way).
Here is a way to make your floating map look better for very little effort and no change in difficulty.
- Floating platforms
Neaten up the tile textures to form perfect shapes. For example, the texture "ap_tile_kitchen" uses tiles that are 8 units².
So, make the brush you use a multiple of 8 (8, 16, 24, etc).

Tip: If the texture does not line up, select the brush (or just the face of the brush). Then hold shift. While holding shift, use the arrows keys to shift the texture on the brush (the texture will shift according to grid size).

- Bounce ramps
Use a different texture on a bouncing spot than on your platforms. It remove the repetitive texture from the map. Again, tidy the texture up for alignment

Tip: Set your texture before you rotate the brush. This will keep the texture looking correct after you rotate it (as long as you keep textures lock)

- Consistency
If you are going to surround platforms with a yellow/black "skirt", do it on every platform.
You could even use colour to signify something, such as yellow/black = "rpg jump from here", green = "normal jump".
Making your map look better takes very little effort and it is always worthwhile.
This map is not my map, but I will forward this to the author :D

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » November 18th, 2013, 9:20 pm

fre4kZ wrote:This map is not my map, but I will forward this to the author :D
My bad, misread your post. Naturally the advice is there, the mapper(s) may take it or leave it - I no longer jump so it doesn't make much difference to me in the end.

Tommy991
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Tommy991 » November 18th, 2013, 9:23 pm

Hell, I think I just started a riot against mappers haha :mrgreen:

Best regards, Tommy

PS: Was not intended though :roll: