PC Controls for Strafing on Console?

General chat area for anything whatsoever

Moderator: Core Staff

Nogard
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

PC Controls for Strafing on Console?

Post by Nogard » July 22nd, 2013, 4:12 am

So the other day I modded my controller on xbox to have the movement that a keyboard would give you on Cod2. I binded +forward to the left trigger and +moveleft to the left bumper. On PC those would be the W and A keys, respectively. I practiced with these controls for a good bit, but I wasn't getting anywhere close to how far I could strafe when just using the analog sticks.

Does anyone have any idea why this is? I find that immediately pushing diagonal left with my left joystick as I begin the strafe gives me less speed than smoothly going from straight to diagonal left as I'm turning.

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Re: PC Controls for Strafing on Console?

Post by Soviet » July 22nd, 2013, 6:38 am

Strafe jumping is as much about the right analog stick/mouse as it is the movement. Ideal strafe movements tend to go in an arc or semicircle. Generally, the reason strafe jumping is considered more challenging on console isn't because of the movement keys/left analog stick, but because the mouse is replaced by an analog stick which is unable to give the same level of precision in movement.
ImageImageImage
"Zaitsev is a cunt." - Pedsdude

Nogard
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Nogard » July 22nd, 2013, 7:23 am

Soviet wrote:Strafe jumping is as much about the right analog stick/mouse as it is the movement. Ideal strafe movements tend to go in an arc or semicircle. Generally, the reason strafe jumping is considered more challenging on console isn't because of the movement keys/left analog stick, but because the mouse is replaced by an analog stick which is unable to give the same level of precision in movement.
I get the gist of what your saying, but I don't understand the specifics of it. Are you basically saying that there's an optimal turning speed that is difficult to perform on console because of the clunkiness of the analog stick? I've always thought that you should turn at a constant speed, since all of the best jumpers on console would just set their sensitivity to 2 and jam their right stick all the way to the left or right, so the only variable in how far someone jumped rested almost entirely on how they moved the left analog stick.

To this day I still don't know how exactly the left stick should be moved for the best strafe possible. For some reason no one's been able to explain it to me, but I'd really like to know. I can make some of the hardest strafes, but it takes me a while and it comes out of nowhere. Like the game just randomly decides to propel me a bit further.

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » July 22nd, 2013, 8:02 am

Yes, I think it's safe to say there is an optimal speed for turning, but that speed depends on how much you are moving. To clarify, if you start far back from the jump and move in a large arc, your turning speed is going to be slower than if you do a quick, sudden strafe. In other words, the speed at which you turn should always be proportional to how much you move before you jump.

Based on that, the method you describe of turning with a controller would work well, but only if the distance you move before you jump coincides with the speed that you are turning. It's worth noting that I've personally have never jumped using a controller before, so I can't give you very much insight beyond that.
ImageImageImage
"Zaitsev is a cunt." - Pedsdude

x0ozero0x
PS3 Team
PS3 Team
PSN ID: x0ozero0x

Post by x0ozero0x » July 22nd, 2013, 12:28 pm

Yeah with the left stick I would just try and emulate that of a PC strafe. I began running forwards so the stick was directly up, then I would move it into one of the top diagonal positions (NW/NE) depending on the direction of the strafe. This would be like adding the strafe key (A/D). With the right stick it would depend on the size of the arc like Soviet said. Having the right stick stuck on either just the left/right position may not always give optimal results. You may want to progressively turn the right stick as you go on with the strafe, so start in the forward position and slowly turn either direction. You may not always end up having the stick completely left or right.
It takes a lot of experimenting and I'm not sure that there is a definitive way to strafe "properly". People will always have different techniques for strafe jumping just like they do on PC. It's just what you find comfortable and gets you the best results.

Nogard
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Nogard » July 22nd, 2013, 11:24 pm

Thanks a lot for the help you two. I'll try out your suggestions when I don't have so much calculus homework to do. I have a couple questions for x0ozero0x though. Is it a good idea to flip the left stick to NW or NE the very moment you start turning? Also, do you immediately push the left stick all the way to NW or NE or is it a gradual thing during the process of the jump?

x0ozero0x
PS3 Team
PS3 Team
PSN ID: x0ozero0x

Post by x0ozero0x » July 23rd, 2013, 11:47 pm

Nogard wrote:Is it a good idea to flip the left stick to NW or NE the very moment you start turning?
That is entirely up to you. Like I said you should experiment with these things. You can or you can do it before just don't hold it to long before you start to turn :P If you look at PC strafe tutorials they always says hold W then add the strafe key A/D and then turn just after. Since people have different strafe techniques it doesn't really matter though. Just find what works best for you.
Nogard wrote:Also, do you immediately push the left stick all the way to NW or NE or is it a gradual thing during the process of the jump?
Well the NW/NE thing was something I did. I'm not entirely sure about other people who played on console. I'm pretty sure a lot of people would just hold the stick straight up. For me I thought since PC players added a strafe key why shouldn't I attempt to try and do the same.
The same thing about strafe techniques also applies here. Most people will add the strafe key after the forward motion. For instance yes it would be a gradual turn on the left stick; but the way I strafe on PC usually is by pressing both the W key and the strafe key at the same time. Not everyone does this, in fact most people don't I just find I get better results.
For console though I would always make it gradual personally. You can try different techniques though.

Nogard
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Nogard » July 24th, 2013, 1:30 am

x0ozero0x wrote:
Nogard wrote:Is it a good idea to flip the left stick to NW or NE the very moment you start turning?
That is entirely up to you. Like I said you should experiment with these things. You can or you can do it before just don't hold it to long before you start to turn :P If you look at PC strafe tutorials they always says hold W then add the strafe key A/D and then turn just after. Since people have different strafe techniques it doesn't really matter though. Just find what works best for you.
Nogard wrote:Also, do you immediately push the left stick all the way to NW or NE or is it a gradual thing during the process of the jump?
Well the NW/NE thing was something I did. I'm not entirely sure about other people who played on console. I'm pretty sure a lot of people would just hold the stick straight up. For me I thought since PC players added a strafe key why shouldn't I attempt to try and do the same.
The same thing about strafe techniques also applies here. Most people will add the strafe key after the forward motion. For instance yes it would be a gradual turn on the left stick; but the way I strafe on PC usually is by pressing both the W key and the strafe key at the same time. Not everyone does this, in fact most people don't I just find I get better results.
For console though I would always make it gradual personally. You can try different techniques though.
Alrighty, thanks.