game crashing (random)

Have questions about CoD/UO mapping that aren't covered in the tutorials section? Post here!

Moderator: Core Staff

captainkirk
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

game crashing (random)

Post by captainkirk » November 14th, 2012, 12:59 pm

Hey guys again, i am still working on my map, getting towards the end however there is an issue that's been with me from the start, iv just put it off time after time, Iv had multiple tests and cod4 seems to crash wile running though random brushes (no-clip) mainly. I'm not sure why but it only seems to be when no-cliping either devmap or script, anybody have any idea what may be making this happen?

Would not like to release a highly detailed and fun map that may crash games randomly, also happens sometimes grav-gun though the sky-box so i assume its going though brushes that is the problem

once again though. Its not all the time, my guess is 10% chance based on tests.

Just in case this is for COD4 map, thanks for any help i may get.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Re: game crashing (random)

Post by Drofder2004 » November 15th, 2012, 12:42 am

Does this happen to everyone who tests it?
Have you tested on a stock mod (customMaps)?
Have you tested to find if it is a specific point of the map that does it and remaking the wall?
Really gonna need a lot more detail into what you have tried.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

captainkirk
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by captainkirk » November 15th, 2012, 1:24 am

Yeah, i knew you would need more information, just not sure what :) The mod on my server is running fine, its been up for a long time, as soon as i load my map people can play in it fine, but for example if i decide to go to the third room with no-clip it may let me. it may let me no-clip for half an hour than randomly though a brush will crash, or maybe 2 minutes than crash, but it has always been though a brush. And yes this happens to anybody who tests it that has the power to go though brushes, (grav-gun, noclip).

One thing that crossed my mind but i highly doubt it, i have an error in console about the lightning effect i have added, its asking for the sound alias of lightning strikes, i think i just need to add multiplayer csv?

I have tested it a lot, it is 100% random though any type of brush, but yet 100% also random to crash :S i am totally stumped.
iv had about 10 people try and all same result so it cant just be me, and my server runs fine on any map. It is differently my map that is doing it.

Not sure on more information, you are pretty much up to date with what i know myself lol, all i do know is a cant release a crash filled map :P, thanks for your help.

sorry for the massive image :P Maybe you may know something about that lightning error :), i added it a long time ago before i had a lot of testers so that may very well be it, i just don't see how, i have other fx in my map rain/fog/fire etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » November 15th, 2012, 2:52 am

Any map compile errors?
(Also, what is up with the missing aliases?)
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."

captainkirk
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by captainkirk » November 15th, 2012, 8:07 am

Nope, no map compile errors, everything runs as normal just as killersam also said, its pretty much the same issue.. i'm not sure what the sound errors are i think its because i have an effect running and its looking for the sound, i highly doubt that's the issue but i posted it anyway just in case, that is really the only error i get in console, but nothing in compile.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » November 15th, 2012, 8:00 pm

Remove all playsound effects on your map to get rid of that error. With the error looping so often, you will not be able to detect an error.

captainkirk
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by captainkirk » November 15th, 2012, 11:24 pm

Okay, ill try that now, what type of error would i be looking for?

captainkirk
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by captainkirk » November 15th, 2012, 11:59 pm

Okay i have just tested it and i cant see any errors as the game freezes (not responding) when it runs though brushes doesn't give me a change to look, its less than 0.1 of a second from entering a random brush.

so i cant see any errors if you like i could send a version of my map to you, just so that you can test it yourself if you like?

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » November 16th, 2012, 12:09 am

Yeh, sure upload and pop it to me in PM. Wont be able to look til the weekend most likely

captainkirk
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by captainkirk » November 20th, 2012, 1:41 am

Okay, its sent to you, no rush just leave me feed back when you try it thanks

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » November 21st, 2012, 11:52 pm

Yeh, sorry busy week of work + a wedding = not a lot of time or energy.
Will get round to it between Sunday and Tuesday.

captainkirk
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by captainkirk » November 24th, 2012, 12:25 am

All good :D no rush, i have a fair bit left on the map anyway :), best to fix up this early rather than later though

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » November 26th, 2012, 4:42 pm

Just had a fly around, after about 10 minutes of flying around, in and out of scenery/brushes/skybox, I received no crashes.

A few words of advice - Detail brushes. If you are NOT using them, you should start doing it now. You have a huge amount of scenery and small irrelevant brush work that may be adding extra strain on the map.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1089
Its a vCoD tutorial but it has the basic elements and understanding of what 'detail' mapping is.

Other than that, the map looks great and there are a few quite cool features :)

captainkirk
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by captainkirk » November 27th, 2012, 7:53 pm

Thanks =] although i don't see how u didn't crash :P, as iv been testing it iv taken away the trees on the outside just to see if that was the reason but still crashes.. i had a test with 2 people yesterday and played for 40 min with no crash because we didn't use no-clip, also it seems to want to crash on map start up.. its happen about 5 times now but testing the map no-clip crashes almost every time.

But thanks for taking a look and for feedback ill do detail brushes now :) if anything it will save fps

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » November 28th, 2012, 12:18 am

I did not test it on a dedi server, will try that now also.