Improving The Standard of The Cod Jumper Youtube Channel

General chat area for anything whatsoever

Moderator: Core Staff

runescare
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Improving The Standard of The Cod Jumper Youtube Channel

Post by runescare » October 20th, 2012, 9:40 pm

So, we have talked to KS about this and we thought we could offer some suggestions for the reviewing team on the private forum as well as overall improvements for the Codjumper.com YouTube channel to make cod jumping more interesting and get it out there for more players to join as well as the best way to promote/keep the cod jumper YouTube channel alive.

Fre4kZ and I and many of the other jumpers/cod jumper supporters have noticed a recent decrease in the overall quality and standard of the videos uploaded as well as to the views and activity when uploading. Below we have listed some examples of problems with videos uploaded to the cod jumper channel that could be removed or improved in order to raise the standard of videos uploaded to the channel.

In addition here is a short list of supporters of our cause (not posting a bunch because this is not the main form of evidence we are trying to show):
Vartazian
H0wth3
MacMillian
Tayzer
Tigr
X0oZero0x
Twix
(We have a longer list but are not going to post them as it would take a lot of space in the topic and this is not a petition)

Examples:
(An Intermediate way on Backlot)
Problem: Cod jumper already has almost identical videos of this that gain more views/publicity and that makes these videos pointless and the creator specifically said he just does the same jumps as in my solo runs and other videos when he posts these. In addition you can see these videos all got around 1,7k views where the rest of videos get around 2-3k or more.

(showdown run)
Another exact replica of runs that have been uploaded multiple times on Cod jumper already just a useless video. We just don’t see the originality we used to with these videos. We have no problem with trying to get the community more engaged by uploading more peoples videos, we just want cod jumper to be a bit more selective and not upload the same content that’s already been uploaded.

(strike solo run)
Just another exact replica of a run that does not add (in our opinion) to the cod jumper channel as much as a creative or excitedly edited run would. (Another note, when runs were uploaded for the solo run series and other runs around that time they all received 5-10k views.)

(new bounces 5 by Mac)
Although some of the bounce have been proven to be possible (not even by the creators, they could not do them it took months for some of the performers in my videos to do them) at that time we spoke to cod jumper administrators such as KS about this but many of the bounces in this video were suspected cheated and there were people who had previously cheated in this video that performed bounces. We just wanted the video to be investigated and looked at more. Bounces in this video very well could be bounces that were performed using cheats and some still have not been proven even by the performers.

(mp_gisa wt)

The actual performance is good but there is one big major problem about the vid, which may be the biggest fault of a walkthrough. In addition, the flashing effect does not make the walkthrough completely enjoyable. The flashes actually are really bad for your eyes and from performance wise, in a case of a 6-way FPS switch, I think a big part of the actual bounce process(from jump-land) is not viewable. A walkthrough’s aim is to show people how to beat certain maps. A walkthrough needs to be clear, simple and all the parts of the bounce processes need to be showed in case of a proper guide. Another little thing is the “crounch” spelling mistake. It makes the walkthrough unprofessional, but a well-detailed map like this deservers the right spelling of its name.

(mp_eb_unknown wt)

This vid hasn’t been uploaded yet, but it has been approved on the YouTube Upload request forum. The biggest problem is that the map and the performance are both old school. According to the channel’s description, Cod Jumper doesn’t accept old school jumps. Another problem is that the map name is not spelled correctly which is really irritating, cause it’s on for the whole video. The whole performance is really dark and the fps indicators are dark as well making them hard to see.

Thank you for taking a look at the topic, remember we are not trying to insult anyone’s videos, we are simply suggesting that the standard for the uploaded videos be set higher to overall improve the quality of the channel and everyone’s videos. There are more examples of videos accepted and not uploaded yet, if you would like more please tell us.

One last suggestion that many of us would like to talk about is the upload schedule. We know it is hard for you guys (KS and Peds) but it might be beneficial to choose a certain day or time where you guys uploaded a video say every few days or week so that the videos don’t sit waiting for so long. I know you guys have already talked about this so I will let you guys deal with this.

In conclusion, we are just trying to help Cod jumper stay interesting and active as well as maintain a good audience and active sub count. Please take some of our suggestions into account so we can hopefully help Cod jumper’s YouTube channel generally.
Gaming is the entertainment, glitching provides the action.

Hoogie
Core Staff
Core Staff

Re: Improving The Standard of The Cod Jumper Youtube Channel

Post by Hoogie » October 20th, 2012, 9:57 pm

You seem to be under the impression that these videos replaced others. Introducing the new upload request system made the step to the CJ channel easier. This motivates movie makers to put out more videos and at the same time our viewers get more content.
One last suggestion that many of us would like to talk about is the upload schedule. We know it is hard for you guys (KS and Peds) but it might be beneficial to choose a certain day or time where you guys uploaded a video say every few days or week so that the videos don’t sit waiting for so long. I know you guys have already talked about this so I will let you guys deal with this.
This has been discussed in the private section and everyone agrees with it. Trying to prevent it as much as possible but time issues might not let us at some points.
-=[[CoDJumper.com Movies]]=-
[[Ambush]] || [[Backlot]] || [[Bloc]] || [[Bog]] || [[Broadcast]] || [[Chinatown]] || [[Countdown]]
[[Crash]] || [[Creek]] || [[Crossfire]] || [[District]] || [[Downpour]] || [[Killhouse]] || [[Overgrown]]
[[Pipeline]] || [[Shipment & Wetwork]] || [[Showdown]] || [[Strike]] || [[Vacant]]

A woman can fake an orgasm, but a man can fake an entire relationship

runescare
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by runescare » October 20th, 2012, 10:12 pm

Hoogie wrote:You seem to be under the impression that these videos replaced others. Introducing the new upload request system made the step to the CJ channel easier. This motivates movie makers to put out more videos and at the same time our viewers get more content.
This has been discussed in the private section and everyone agrees with it. Trying to prevent it as much as possible but time issues might not let us at some points.

I'm not under the impression that videos are replacing others, we posted this because we noticed the quality of the videos going down, we want the video makers to improve their videos thus improving the cj channel altogether. We were just asked to post a few examples so we chose ones that demonstrated why some viewers including us feel the content was either bad, should be rejected or improved, or just plain pointless. It may that way because i posted examples of those soloruns but I have no problem with the new upload system, I just think there should be higher standards.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » October 20th, 2012, 10:36 pm

To summarise your views:

1. Videos containing old or repeated content.
2. Not exciting enough
3. Various quality issues (spelling, editing).

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of CoDJumper.

Repeat content is NOT a bad thing, it is a requirement in almost all media. Films, music and performing arts (i.e comedy), you will see repeat content. There are several reasons, there are people who I would refer to as "non-subscribers" who actively watch our content, but do not subscribe to it. These people have not watched every video we have submitted. Also, repeat content from videos over certain periods of time allow for time to 'forget', although you have not forgotten the content, you do not have it in active memory.
And my final point regarding repeat content is that sometimes the content itself can be better presented or presented in a different way, along with the fact we are attempting to boost the members of our communities profiles and not just our own (hence why we ask for usernames and channel links) - cosnider it a community social linking, where after watching our videos and enjoying that persons content, you can continue and support them on their own channels.

Excitement, enjoyment and entertaining are "in the eye of the beholder", what you find to be a boring video, I will find to be a great video. For example, the "intermediate" series of videos (of which I think one has been rejected), I have voted 'For' on every occasion. I enjoy the simple videos.
In regards to the "view count" of videos, this is not a matter of importance and neither is it a good stat to benchmark a videos quality on, some videos are just not interesting to the casual viewer - for example a video titled "Soloruns - Strike" is not going to receive a similar response to "Epic jumps - Crash".

Yes, you are right. We do expect a high quality of general things, including spelling. However, we are not going to 'grammar nazi' a video and reject it for a spelling on a video. A spelling error is not an insult to a map or the mapper, it is a spelling error - nothing more. If I come accross a video with numerous spelling errors, or blatantly obvious spelling errors on words that are the focus of the video, I would adjust my view on it and the videos credibility, but when the word is tucked in a corner and has little-to-no effect on the actual content then I see no big issue.
I will admit the mp_gisa quality was a decision not made lightly, it was a very close call to reject the video but we decided it would be uploaded purely on the basis it was a walkthrough of a map and the quality was not a significantly important part of the video. Some of the big issues with the video came in after processing - something to do with Peds and connection I think.
I must also add the whole "flashing lights is bad for your eyes" is something plucked out of thin air - if a flashing light was bad for you, we would not have flash photography and strobe lighting - if you were to be watching a flashing video for a period of time, then yes, you may suffer some issues.

As a general response, I will again add that these videos are not for the sole gain of CoDJumper, they are a community 'project' that allows small video editors to share their videos with a larger subscriber base.

I must also point out the irony of having an agreeing participant have one of his videos up for review for cheating his content [MacMillan].
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

runescare
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by runescare » October 20th, 2012, 11:09 pm

Drofder2004 wrote:...
You do have some good points, as for repetition, I guess its all our own opinion and same for boring/excitedness of the video. But, I do not agree with you on the errors. Yes you guys are trying to promote community activity but this is a more professional channel. It is probably right to be a little more lenient on the videos but that doesn't mean that you should just completely disregard stupid simple errors such as spelling the name wrong. Some of the differences between the more veteran video makers and the newer ones are the simple little errors they make. If there were a maybe a little more stern set of guidelines these small errors would be forced to be fixed therefor making the videos better in general. And, it's not about being a grammar nazi, the point is that those errors will multiply with the newer video makers seeing new video makers get uploaded without the professionalism that CJ normally had. The community idea is a good idea and I support it but we still want professional videos and changing a few simple errors and making the guidelines a bit more strict isn't a hard thing to do.

Ps, the macmillian thing, he didn't perform the bounces that were suspected cheated but yes I did get him to agree but didn't specifically tell him I stressed a point over his video, I did however tell him right when the video came out and we tested the jumps that we suspected cheating and he still agreed.
Last edited by Drofder2004 on October 20th, 2012, 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed full quote - to shorten post

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » October 20th, 2012, 11:35 pm

runescare wrote:But, I do not agree with you on the errors. [...] It is probably right to be a little more lenient on the videos but that doesn't mean that you should just completely disregard stupid simple errors such as spelling the name wrong. Some of the differences between the more veteran video makers and the newer ones are the simple little errors they make. If there were a maybe a little more stern set of guidelines these small errors would be forced to be fixed therefor making the videos better in general. And, it's not about being a grammar nazi, the point is that those errors will multiply with the newer video makers seeing new video makers get uploaded without the professionalism that CJ normally had.
We have a huge following from all areas of the globe, English is not the first language of everyone and some of those who are English have crap spelling - that is just the way it is. Although I would to like be able to control the quality aspects on a personal level with each editor, sadly it is simply not a solution. These videos are created for their own personal usage and we are given permission to promote them. If a user wishes to submit a low qualitty sample video and/or a script for the video for review before posting the full work, then that would be fine, however it will simply not happen.

We are NOT a professional channel, neither by definition nor by admission. We do not create revenue from YouTube and we do not have videos created for our channel exclusively. We cannot control the content being submitted, we can only give the video a value based on its content whether entertaining or educational. The rule we have regarding quality is:
Any videos submitted which pass all of the above requirements, and deemed to be of a high enough quality (in all aspects of entertainment value, grammar, etc.)
We are not asking for perfect.
runescare wrote:Ps, the macmillian thing, he didn't perform the bounces that were suspected cheated but yes I did get him to agree but didn't specifically tell him I stressed a point over his video, I did however tell him right when the video came out and we tested the jumps that we suspected cheating and he still agreed.
Never accept testimony from a contradictory source, its bad form and invalidates your points.
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."

runescare
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by runescare » October 20th, 2012, 11:57 pm

Drofder2004 wrote:
runescare wrote:But, I do not agree with you on the errors. [...] It is probably right to be a little more lenient on the videos but that doesn't mean that you should just completely disregard stupid simple errors such as spelling the name wrong. Some of the differences between the more veteran video makers and the newer ones are the simple little errors they make. If there were a maybe a little more stern set of guidelines these small errors would be forced to be fixed therefor making the videos better in general. And, it's not about being a grammar nazi, the point is that those errors will multiply with the newer video makers seeing new video makers get uploaded without the professionalism that CJ normally had.
We have a huge following from all areas of the globe, English is not the first language of everyone and some of those who are English have crap spelling - that is just the way it is. Although I would to like be able to control the quality aspects on a personal level with each editor, sadly it is simply not a solution. These videos are created for their own personal usage and we are given permission to promote them. If a user wishes to submit a low qualitty sample video and/or a script for the video for review before posting the full work, then that would be fine, however it will simply not happen.

We are NOT a professional channel, neither by definition nor by admission. We do not create revenue from YouTube and we do not have videos created for our channel exclusively. We cannot control the content being submitted, we can only give the video a value based on its content whether entertaining or educational. The rule we have regarding quality is:
Any videos submitted which pass all of the above requirements, and deemed to be of a high enough quality (in all aspects of entertainment value, grammar, etc.)
runescare wrote:Ps, the macmillian thing, he didn't perform the bounces that were suspected cheated but yes I did get him to agree but didn't specifically tell him I stressed a point over his video, I did however tell him right when the video came out and we tested the jumps that we suspected cheating and he still agreed.
Never accept testimony from a contradictory source, its bad form and invalidates your points.
English may not be the first language of many but in jump videos realisticly you are not going to have to spell much, you literly only need to spell the title of the map or thanks for watching etc... there should be some standard as in the spelling in videos as it is really not difficult to fix either. In addition, let me rephrase the professional comment, the channel needs more professionalism as the channel is losing it. I'm not saying the channel is professional by any means, i'm saying the channel needs to be more professional or "higher quality" you could put it. We are also not asking for perfect, but we think you should raise your standards on what a "high enough quality" video is.

one last thing about macmillian's "testimony". It is not bad in this case to accept his word because as you can see even he realizes that change is needed and I'm sure he didn't expect the demos to be cheated when he created the video but now he realizes that some may have been cheated.

fre4kZ
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by fre4kZ » October 21st, 2012, 12:11 am

Drofder2004 wrote:

I agree with you in some point, but what i see is that the recent videos are only overlooked quality wise and the looks of the bounces, but not the real value of a bouncee, like if it is a new bounce, or a very hard bounce. I am not saying that harder bounces should get a priority over easier ones, i am just saying that the continous upload of easier bounces, which repeat themselfes usually will lower and lower the activity of the viewers/Subs of CoDJumper channel. In my opinion the root of the problem is the new upload system, because the deciding team have to follow only those low standard rules like "high quality" etc.

Hoogie
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Hoogie » October 21st, 2012, 1:22 am

I really don't think people would be less entertained because of a spelling error and if it does you should ask yourself why.

Also CoD4 has been out since 2007. The amount of new bounces are limited because most of it has been found. We upload videos which we think are entertaining. If the same run has been done by someone else a few months ago, does it really matter?
In my opinion the root of the problem is the new upload system, because the deciding team have to follow only those low standard rules like "high quality" etc.
Ironically, before the new system the videos were judged by one person and if there was some serious doubt, other opinions were asked.
With the new system there are 4 or 5 votes before a video gets approved or declined which only improves the overall quality of the videos we upload.

And the 'rules' are guidelines. I vote on every video myself and if you would ask me to quote the rules, i wouldn't get half of them right.
[[Ambush]] || [[Backlot]] || [[Bloc]] || [[Bog]] || [[Broadcast]] || [[Chinatown]] || [[Countdown]]
[[Crash]] || [[Creek]] || [[Crossfire]] || [[District]] || [[Downpour]] || [[Killhouse]] || [[Overgrown]]
[[Pipeline]] || [[Shipment & Wetwork]] || [[Showdown]] || [[Strike]] || [[Vacant]]

runescare
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by runescare » October 21st, 2012, 1:32 am

Hoogie wrote:I really don't think people would be less entertained because of a spelling error and if it does you should ask yourself why.

Also CoD4 has been out since 2007. The amount of new bounces are limited because most of it has been found. We upload videos which we think are entertaining. If the same run has been done by someone else a few months ago, does it really matter?
In my opinion the root of the problem is the new upload system, because the deciding team have to follow only those low standard rules like "high quality" etc.
Ironically, before the new system the videos were judged by one person and if there was some serious doubt, other opinions were asked.
With the new system there are 4 or 5 votes before a video gets approved or declined which only improves the overall quality of the videos we upload.

And the 'rules' are guidelines. I vote on every video myself and if you would ask me to quote the rules, i wouldn't get half of them right.
Well this topic wasn't originally just about the spelling error I was just saying those little things add to the professionalism of the videos. But, as many of the veteran jumpers have agreed with me that still play, the videos are getting boring such as the remade runs, and the cheating video, thats a whole nother story, I would think you guys would want to atleast look into what you guys are uploading before you upload it.

Hoogie
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Hoogie » October 21st, 2012, 1:55 am

runescare wrote:Well this topic wasn't originally just about the spelling error
I dedicated one sentence to it and you made several posts about it :roll:
runescare wrote:But, as many of the veteran jumpers have agreed with me that still play, the videos are getting boring such as the remade runs
Like i said, the amount of new jumps are limited. If we find a video entertaining we approve it. It doesn't matter if it has been done before or not. If we would strictly upload new jumps you would get one or two videos a month nowadays.
runescare wrote:and the cheating video, thats a whole nother story, I would think you guys would want to atleast look into what you guys are uploading before you upload it.
If i recall correctly, no one in the team raised any concern with this video. However, if you have any proof we'll happily look into it.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » October 21st, 2012, 2:49 am

runescare wrote:the videos are getting boring such as the remade runs, and the cheating video, thats a whole nother story, I would think you guys would want to atleast look into what you guys are uploading before you upload it.
We can only work with what we are given. If we reject videos because some people may find them boring, then we will be posting a single video each fortnight. There is very little new content around and only a percentage of that is put in our request forum. When better content is placed in that forum, it will be reviewed just like the rest.

---

In regards to the cheating video, I think we should review it after we have sorted other issues. Also, we cannot "look into" videos any more than what you can. Not all of the team can jump, and those that can are of limited ability. I do not think we have any top ranking jumpers in the team, but even if we had one or two, can we really say a jump is impossible because two people cannot make it?

The best we can do is make judgement on whether a video looks legit, remember this is NOT our content, it is content we upload on behalf of others. We cannot be held responsible for those who cheat when there is no way of checking or conclusively spotting cheats. If enough people come forward to say a video contains cheating and no defense argument is made, then we can review it.

---

Spelling and grammar issues can be looked at on a case by case basis. In the example shown, I personally do not see a big enough issue to have rejected the video, the title of the video is still correct and can be found using Youtube search and the entertainent factor is not affected.

---

runescare
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by runescare » October 21st, 2012, 3:09 am

Drofder2004 wrote:
runescare wrote:the videos are getting boring such as the remade runs, and the cheating video, thats a whole nother story, I would think you guys would want to atleast look into what you guys are uploading before you upload it.
We can only work with what we are given. If we reject videos because some people may find them boring, then we will be posting a single video each fortnight. There is very little new content around and only a percentage of that is put in our request forum. When better content is placed in that forum, it will be reviewed just like the rest.

---

In regards to the cheating video, I think we should review it after we have sorted other issues. Also, we cannot "look into" videos any more than what you can. Not all of the team can jump, and those that can are of limited ability. I do not think we have any top ranking jumpers in the team, but even if we had one or two, can we really say a jump is impossible because two people cannot make it?

The best we can do is make judgement on whether a video looks legit, remember this is NOT our content, it is content we upload on behalf of others. We cannot be held responsible for those who cheat when there is no way of checking or conclusively spotting cheats. If enough people come forward to say a video contains cheating and no defense argument is made, then we can review it.

---

Spelling and grammar issues can be looked at on a case by case basis. In the example shown, I personally do not see a big enough issue to have rejected the video, the title of the video is still correct and can be found using Youtube search and the entertainent factor is not affected.

---
Although that may be true, it is okay to accept some videos because we understand you need content, but upping the standard doesn't mean content won't flow in, it means better content will. And regarding the cheating video, I informed KS who said he would talk to you guys about it, we also did many tests including getitng players such as MPC tayzer zero kiwi to test some of the jumps as well as the creators and performers of the video and many of the performers didnt get close which lead us to tell you guys. Unfortunately you guys still didn;t thnk twice about uploading it. I can directly relate back to when the standard was better here is a quick example. I beleive it was new bounces 12, we had about 3 bounces that were not possible on normal damage as they took 110 damage. You guys didn't accept as you would now, you told me it would either be rejected or to add in to the video that itws a bonus bounce and needs godmode. Although it was a slight inconvinience for me, it was worth it for the channel to keep its reputation and thats how the standard should be. One last thing, just a suggestion but maybe you should ask some of the cj team that actually does jump, or find some players you can trust that know about bounces, to add in for an opinion, not necesarily review the video to make sure you have opinions from every point of view.

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » October 21st, 2012, 9:20 am

Your new bounces series are about performing jumps in normal gameplay. We're very strict about that. The whole point of doing CJ is performing jumps in public server which are possible and without dying. The CJ mod in itself registers fall damage, it's there for a reason. You'll also won't see a single 100+ fall damage clip in our showcase videos. But we don't make most videos uploaded on CJ anymore so we can't see how much damage has been taken during a jump. Sometimes Hoogie and Sonic spot an impossible jump, but we can't see everything because we're only a handful amount of people.

Obviously the 100+ fall damage or a billion RPGs used don't count for custom maps. And we've allowed a few videos to be uploaded which used more than 2 RPGs.
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

runescare
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by runescare » October 21st, 2012, 12:40 pm

[SoE]_Zaitsev wrote:Your new bounces series are about performing jumps in normal gameplay. We're very strict about that. The whole point of doing CJ is performing jumps in public server which are possible and without dying. The CJ mod in itself registers fall damage, it's there for a reason. You'll also won't see a single 100+ fall damage clip in our showcase videos. But we don't make most videos uploaded on CJ anymore so we can't see how much damage has been taken during a jump. Sometimes Hoogie and Sonic spot an impossible jump, but we can't see everything because we're only a handful amount of people.

Obviously the 100+ fall damage or a billion RPGs used don't count for custom maps. And we've allowed a few videos to be uploaded which used more than 2 RPGs.
Well what makes the standard different between stock map vids and nb wouldn't u want all the standards to be the same regarding a relatively similar topic?