Multiple strafe

Forum for all kinds of CoD jumps.

Moderator: Core Staff

Dilof
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Multiple strafe

Post by Dilof » August 14th, 2012, 1:03 pm

Hey, I was wondering if someone could help me. Yesterday I saw someone moving almost 2x faster. I think he was multiple strafe jumping. I tried it, but when you jump immediately after a jump you're slowed down. Any idea of how do you do this? And he wasn't changing jump direction, he moved with the same angle all the time. Thanks for help.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Re: Multiple strafe

Post by Drofder2004 » August 14th, 2012, 4:40 pm

It could be multiple things such as mod or server dvars, but it certainly isn't 'standard' movement.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » August 14th, 2012, 6:30 pm

Could it be that he was running against a wall? If done right it increases your run speed.
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

Dilof
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Dilof » August 15th, 2012, 12:17 pm

[SoE]_Zaitsev wrote:Could it be that he was running against a wall? If done right it increases your run speed.
Nope, he wasn't running against a wall, it was on brecourt and I've seen it on diffirent servers. Yesterday I saw another guy doing it. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafe-jumping,
The movements are usually as follows:
The player presses the forward key, preparing to make the first jump.
Still keeping the forward key pressed, the player jumps, adding either the move left or the move right key (ergo the strafe in the term, strafe-jumping). The strafe and jump keys must be pressed at the same time.
To gain maximum speed, the player must now move the mouse smoothly to around a 85 degree (i.e., turn) in the direction of the strafe, while still holding down the two aforementioned keys. This part is called airstrafing, which is responsible for increase in speed during the jump.
For successive strafejumps, the player immediately jumps again on landing, swapping the direction of strafe as well as mouse motion.
Done correctly, this will dramatically increase the player's velocity with successive jumps.

But they didn't swap the direction of strafe every jump and they didn't move the mouse smoothly, it wasn't even moved. It looks just like they were pressing W and D keys and space. I'll try to demo it and I'll upload.

Mirko
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by Mirko » August 15th, 2012, 12:27 pm

ohhh i know what u mean. basically because strafing is faster than sprinting by jumping as soon as u hit the ground you will maintain your speed. this bug is also in CSS which is called bhopping. although it is quite different in technique the principle of jumping as soon as u land is still the same.
the best example and well known example of this technique would be this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvwM3ewLeZA
hope this explains your problem :D

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » August 15th, 2012, 12:34 pm

Keep in mind that back in the days of CoD1 jumping didn't lower your speed. You could jump after jump (Bunny hopping) and gain more speed (Specially if you strafe jump) but they have patched that at some time.

No idea what the guy mentioned did though.

Mirko
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by Mirko » August 15th, 2012, 12:42 pm

wouldnt he of done what i just explained. even when strafing off a large building and landing on another then instantly jumping would increase his speed. this only works if there is no fall damage which most CJ servers also have

Dilof
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Dilof » August 15th, 2012, 12:56 pm

Thanks for the explanation Zombie. I don't think there's no fall damage on any servers nowadays on COD1 v1.1 though.
Zaitsev, I think you mean that in v1.1 jumping doesn't slow you down and in next patches eg. v1.5 it does. In v1.5 the next jump is a lot shorter and lower. I play v1.1, so there's no problem with it. I know how strafe jump, but when I try to do another strafe immediately after I touch the ground, the next jump is a lot shorter (not lower) and it doesn't speed me up.
Btw, does any of you know where I can get a nade script which throws the nades faster than usually?

Mirko
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by Mirko » August 15th, 2012, 1:23 pm

ohhh sorry. i didnt realize this was cod 1 :/
dont know much about that game
atleast i think i explained something haha

Dilof
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Dilof » August 15th, 2012, 1:28 pm

Yeah you did, don't worry :P

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » August 15th, 2012, 1:42 pm

Zombie wrote:ohhh sorry. i didnt realize this was cod 1 :/
dont know much about that game
atleast i think i explained something haha
Well it was in CoD1 jumps :P

crazypanzer
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by crazypanzer » August 15th, 2012, 8:42 pm

The jumping technique for 1.1 you are describing is commonly used by many players including me, especially in wars and scrims. Be aware that this for the most part will require a constant 333 to achieve what you have most likely seen. Brecourt is a very good map for this, you will see many skilled players "fly" around the map if they have a constant 333 fps and know how to strafe well. Since the jump slowdown was introduced in v1.2 of vcod it's only possible in 1.1 unless you manage to remove the jump slowdown somehow, which would probably require an edit of the .exe anyway.

If you want to replicate it, it will take practice and a lot of repitition. These movements are also somewhat achievable to a much lesser extent on 125 fps but you will not really get the "flying" effect. As for fall damage in 1.1, all servers unless they have a special mod have fall damage.

Edit: I've also attached a 1.1 demo of me doing a similar strafe, although i cannot continue the rhythm because my 333 dips down to 200 fps near the end.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[22:33] CP/vigil-Priapus/ps||cp: found a forum with people having similar problems
[22:33] CP/vigil-Priapus/ps||cp: still in task manager?
[22:33] CP/vigil-Priapus/ps||cp: processes tab?
[22:33] CP/vigil-Priapus/ps||cp: damn you cod.....i'm prefiring questions

Dilof
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Dilof » August 16th, 2012, 11:55 am

Thanks crazypanzer! This is exactly what I wanted to know. How do you do it anyway? A strafe jump is basically keep forward key pressed, then push space and A or D key and move the mouse smoothly right? What do you do after? I mean, the combination of moves. When you're in air which keys do you have pressed and then when do you stop pressing them? Just before you touch the ground? I'm guessing then the combination repeats, you push space again etc? Would be really glad if you explained. Thanks!

crazypanzer
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by crazypanzer » August 16th, 2012, 6:06 pm

In this demo I do no more than hold the W and A keys, and make a smooth turn onto an elevated surface, jumping as soon as I hit it (I continue turning a bit by habit even though it's not necessary), propelling myself to an even higher surface and jumping after that, holding the same W and A the entire time. Brecourt is good for this technique because it has many hills you can jump up that will gain you speed as you go up them. Once you clear a hill you will tend to lose speed if you continue in this manner, if there is another hill nearby you may need to switch directions and use W and D to make going up the next one effective. Try it on various hills on B side and near the MG. But remember much of this is reliant on an uneven surface, especially elevated.
[22:33] CP/vigil-Priapus/ps||cp: found a forum with people having similar problems
[22:33] CP/vigil-Priapus/ps||cp: still in task manager?
[22:33] CP/vigil-Priapus/ps||cp: processes tab?
[22:33] CP/vigil-Priapus/ps||cp: damn you cod.....i'm prefiring questions

Dilof
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Dilof » August 16th, 2012, 9:16 pm

Thanks for the explanation. I guess now I'll spend hours learning this. :D