Another gap jumping technique

For jump related chat that is specific to the PC

Moderators: Core Staff, PC Team

megazor
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Another gap jumping technique

Post by megazor » July 30th, 2012, 2:56 pm

1. Change your cl_yawspeed to anything in the 260-270 range.
2. Bind "+left" to leftarrow, and "+right" to rightarrow (in case you prefer right strafe).
3. Perform a normal strafe jump, only using arrows instead of mouse.

This will appear tricky (for a while), because you can't change the speed of the rotation - it is constant and is the best for jumping, because such rotation speed causes the greatest movement speed. With this technique, I jumped 319 at 125 fps on the Training Codjumper.com serveur :-)

F |Madness| U
CJ G0D!
CJ G0D!

Re: Another gap jumping technique

Post by F |Madness| U » July 30th, 2012, 3:16 pm

If this is true, then why do people use W and A when strafing left, rather than just W and turning mouse?

This technique you mention is just using W and turning the mouse (effectively, as you are using a key to turn it not mouse).
-

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » July 30th, 2012, 4:05 pm

I assue you mean, use BOTH 'A' (strafe left) and Left Arrow (turn left) at the same time and ignore the mouse?

For jumping gaps, this may be efficient as you can simply make adjustments to how fast you turn instead of using a mouse and having to use muscle memory repeat actions
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

megazor
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by megazor » July 30th, 2012, 4:37 pm

F |Madness| U wrote:If this is true, then why do people use W and A when strafing left, rather than just W and turning mouse?

This technique you mention is just using W and turning the mouse (effectively, as you are using a key to turn it not mouse).
I didn't say anything about using or not using strafe. I only said that you should do a NORMAL strafe jump, but using the keyboard to turn, not mouse.

Actually, strafing gives no extra motion speed (so, theoretically, you can jump without strafing as far as you jump with it), but it's definitely easier to jump with strafing than wihout.

F |Madness| U
CJ G0D!
CJ G0D!

Post by F |Madness| U » July 30th, 2012, 6:20 pm

megazor wrote:
F |Madness| U wrote:If this is true, then why do people use W and A when strafing left, rather than just W and turning mouse?

I didn't say anything about using or not using strafe. I only said that you should do a NORMAL strafe jump, but using the keyboard to turn, not mouse.

Actually, strafing gives no extra motion speed (so, theoretically, you can jump without strafing as far as you jump with it), but it's definitely easier to jump with strafing than wihout.
My bad i slightly mis-read your post. It's only really useful for gap jumping I would imagine, or on CJ servers where you have lots of time etc. I can't imagine it would be easy to use in public matches and such.
-

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » July 30th, 2012, 7:37 pm

megazor wrote:strafing gives no extra motion speed
What are you talking about?
Strafejumping is called strafejumping because strafing is a requirement.

You cannot complete the same level of jumping speed/distance by using only 'turning'.
Stop making shit up as you go along -.-

This has been very well documented for Quake, but most of the maths translates to CoD games.
http://www.funender.com/quake/articles/cj_theory.html
http://www.funender.com/quake/articles/ ... heory.html
http://www.funender.com/quake/articles/ ... afing.html
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."

megazor
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by megazor » July 31st, 2012, 4:02 am

Drofder2004 wrote:

You cannot complete the same level of jumping speed/distance by using only 'turning'.
I made speedometer in cod1, cod2 and cod4. The adding of strafing to my movement DID NOT increase my speed. You can check it on your own. Strafe keys are used by 99% jumpers, because it is simply easier to control the flight after you have jumped off the ground. Using no strafing, I managed to jump pretty good gaps, around 300, - and that was with no much trying.

Mirko
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by Mirko » July 31st, 2012, 7:14 am

ur technique might be useful on straight gaps but i doubt it would be better with bouncing and cause there is so many different angles they are at

megazor
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by megazor » July 31st, 2012, 7:42 am

Zombie wrote:ur technique might be useful on straight gaps but i doubt it would be better with bouncing and cause there is so many different angles they are at
Have you read the name of the topic?

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » July 31st, 2012, 11:51 am

megazor wrote:
Drofder2004 wrote:

I made speedometer in cod1, cod2 and cod4. The adding of strafing to my movement DID NOT increase my speed. You can check it on your own. Strafe keys are used by 99% jumpers, because it is simply easier to control the flight after you have jumped off the ground. Using no strafing, I managed to jump pretty good gaps, around 300, - and that was with no much trying.
So, all these years of studying the strafejump and all the research that has been done, you have disproved using a serversided 20fps speedometer?

So, if you gain NO speed by strafing, then explain where this magical distance we get is coing from. Are we meant to believe that by turning the mouse and altering direction alone is causing the game to make us go faster? If this is the case, can I build up speed by simply by running circles?

Also, if strafe has NO effect on speed, how/why does WALL STRAFING work?

Did you even read the articles I posted?

megazor
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by megazor » July 31st, 2012, 3:03 pm

Turning around is what let you get over the normal speed. Strafing doesn't do it. Well, if you are running forward and then begin to strafe, your speed will increase a little, but then, in a pretty short while, it will return to its normal value. However if you start turning around (either with or without strafing), you will see that the speed will increase and will be higher that normal until you stop turning.

About wallspeed. You won't believe but you don't need to strafe for wallspeed. Look parallel to the wall. Then turn about 30 degrees towards the wall (so that you look into it). Now run forward, your speed will be higher than normal and can become as high as it can be done with normal, strafe-based wallspeed.

Those articles aren't new for me. There is nothing in them that contradicts my words.

Also, jumping without strafing is really well-known. I have seen a demo in which the former CJ member Golden Eye jumped 257 gap without strafing. The "normal" record is 266, but most jumpers can't jump even 250, and there are no jumps longer than 250 in cod1 jump maps (I personally completed the majority of them).

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » July 31st, 2012, 6:14 pm

megazor wrote:...
These images were taken using Enemy Territory (another Q3 game).
The colours represent speed. The darker the colour the faster the movement.
The shape represents acceleration. The higher the bar, the more acceleration. (where it spikes on left, is the jump [upward acceleration]).

Sprint Jumping (no strafe, no circle)

Sprint + Circle Jump (no strafe)

Sprint + Strafe Jump (no circle)

Sprint + Circle + Strafe Jump

CoD will not have quite the same level of speed increase, due to the base speed being a lot slower (190 UPS) and I think a higher level of friction, but the engine is still the same.

Also, if Golden Eye could do 257 without strafe, maybe with strafe he could reach the 265 mark?

megazor
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by megazor » July 31st, 2012, 6:38 pm

1. The fact that game has the Q3 engine doesn't mean the physics will be the same. For example, in Quake 3 you can bunny hop and in CoD you can't. The developers could change everything.
2. The second image (circle jump, no strafe) shows the speed that is not lower than it's shown on the third and forth image.
3. Perhaps, in air, 'no strafing' technique works worse than strafing one (whereas on the ground it's the same). But even if it is so, the final distance difference is very small, around 5 units, i think. And therefore 999 strafe jumps out of 1000 can be done with no strafing.

Also, I suggest you to try jumping without turning, but with strafe. You will see that your jumps are short. In cod1 you shouldn't expect anyone to be able to get over even 200 units this way.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » August 1st, 2012, 3:13 am

I have done some testing. It is only fair I attempt to back up my claims, and I have come to a conclusion that fits well with both arguements.

While sprinting at the wall (about 75deg) I was able to maintain the same speed as when I was strafing at the wall (looking towards wall at about 10deg).

I put the server in a no friction setting. Sprinting HAS a cap, so even without friction, you can not accelerate over a set speed. I was able to accelerate with both strafe and mouse movement.

While on flat ground (with friction) I tested my jumping. I was able to produce small difference with strafe and larger differences with turning. However I was able to beat both of them when combined.

---
My conclusion would be that the 4 images I posted above are the most accurate representation of the theory.
Strafing will provide a small speed boost, turning will provide a larger speed boost, but the combination provide an either bigger speed boost.

Now it has gone 3am, I am need up in 4h30m for work!

megazor
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by megazor » August 1st, 2012, 5:16 am

As I said, if you try strafing, the speed will rise, but for a short while - then it will back down to its normal. So, if you jump exactly when the speed is being higher, you will obviously jump farther than normal.

I have done testing as well, in CoD4. On the ground, without strafing, I can reach the same speed as I can with strafing.