DayZ ?! (Arma 2 + Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead)

Discussion for other PC and console games

Moderator: Core Staff

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Re: DayZ ?! (Arma 2 + Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead)

Post by Drofder2004 » August 7th, 2012, 7:47 pm

Brilliant News. Except, Bohemia... I would prefer to see a different Dev if I am honest.
[SoE]_Zaitsev wrote:I thought the game died out.
Its an alpha mod with many problems. It hasn't died but the game can be both frustrating and incredibly slow paced.
The game has become a simple "pvp" survival game, which narrows down the market of gamers. Some people enjoy the idea of killing others as a gameplay mechanic, however I know a few gamers who love Zombies and the attributed games, films, books, etc but have no desire to play a suvival game where they will end up dead every few minutes because they do not have the FPS skills they once had.

I personally have not played it much since I got it, but the majority of the time I have spent playing it I have enjoyed it a good amount, but the game is a serious time sink... hours can pass by and you have not done much at all.

Also co-op gameplay is a must, lone-wolf gaming is just snail pace.

The game requires a 'PVE' style element to it, other than finding things to gear up, because the end-game is PVP at this present time.

My guess is that the standalone game will become a mix of PVE and PVP with "free-for-all" areas. This will encourage a lot more team building and a lot less "shoot him, I need his binoculars" type gaming. There is potential for it to become a small server "mmorpg" style game (limited players per server still).

We shall see.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » August 7th, 2012, 8:52 pm

I honestly think they should shy away from the superior military weaponary and keep to basic "household" weapons. Your standard 'farm' weapons (shottys, bolt actions), maybe the odd pistol/revolver, flare guns would be fun. As soon as you are in posession of a auto-nightvision-thermal-machine gun, survival becomes silly, no zombie is a threat and you are forced to go into 'PVP' for gameplay.

They should keep the things such as vehicle repair mechanics, they should further develop the "barricade" concepts.
Depending on how far into "post-apocalypse" they go, there could be potential for "groups, clans, bandits, authorities".

There are so many possibilities, I would like to hope they do not go fully MMORPG however, as generally these games will go down the free-to-play market and the concept of survival will be replaced with the concept of "kill x zombies" and buy an XP pack to level quicker.

The game requires a levelling system. The simplest way to keep levels equal is to not have stats, but aesthetical items - apparel, utilities, equipment upgrades (e.g hand drawn maps, become scale maps, then obtain 'key locations', etc). Anything that makes a player better in a direction will always end up with a "best-option" stat.
As said though, on death you lose all your items, but keep your upgrades, so finding a map, you still have your upgrade.

And finally they MUST allow a modding community to get involved. Someone that has built his success and will now further his career based on the success of a mod, should definitly reward people with a basic SDK from launch (models, scripts, etc).
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."

Sonic
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Sonic » September 21st, 2012, 12:07 pm

haha, that's great.

But doubt it'll be any good considering people would just read the website and go to the specific place to kill :P.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » December 29th, 2012, 5:42 am

Not perfect. He didn't mention hackers or the glitchyness of the game.

Sonic
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Sonic » December 29th, 2012, 9:04 am

hahhahhaaha, I lol'd :D

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » December 29th, 2012, 12:31 pm

Can you still play this properly by buying Arma 2 and Arrowhead?
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

Sonic
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Sonic » December 29th, 2012, 1:03 pm

[SoE]_Zaitsev wrote:Can you still play this properly by buying Arma 2 and Arrowhead?
As far as I know they are not planning on taking down the beta, even when the standalone is released.
But I think it's pretty un-playable these days due to the amount of hackers. :wink:

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » December 29th, 2012, 2:46 pm

Such a shame. Has a release date been set for this stand alone game? Beta or full release?

Sonic
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Sonic » December 29th, 2012, 3:12 pm

[SoE]_Zaitsev wrote:Such a shame. Has a release date been set for this stand alone game? Beta or full release?
Not yet announced, but once again - only as far as I know off :D

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » December 29th, 2012, 3:28 pm

Alright, thanks for the info :)

Sonic
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Sonic » January 7th, 2013, 5:53 pm

Well, atleast we can say that they are really trying to make the best out of it unlike War Z :).

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » January 8th, 2013, 1:12 am

The lead architect of the revised (and original) Chernarus map, Ivan Buchta, is still imprisoned in Greece on charges of espionage - and is a great loss to the team. Luckily, through letters, Ivan is able to provide some input and insight into the development of the map. Regardless, the continued imprisonment of him and Martin Pezlar has a significant impact on our ability to redevelop Chernarus.
This is the most insane story to come from all this. There map designer has been imprisoned on espionage charges and the government will not budge on this matter. However the development does sound great.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » January 8th, 2013, 3:27 am

KillerSam wrote:Yeah it is pretty crazy. They've been campaigning e.t.c to get it sorted but it's not happening.
Campaigning has got us nowhere, I think what every country should post police at potential terrorist landmarks (such as Buckingham Palace) and arrest a couple of Greek Tourists. Release the prisoners and we will release ours... :P

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » January 16th, 2013, 1:46 am

Very good to hear.

Greek judges are on strike, so the case could take a silly amount of time. I hope when they get back home, the Czech's tell the Greeks to go fuck themselves and denounce their actions as illegal and refuse to extradite their citizens back, they can keep the 10k Euro bail money.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » February 28th, 2013, 9:49 pm

Needs a LOT of polish, but it is a 0.1 build.