"MultiMaps" Idea for a map.

Have questions about CoD4 mapping that aren't covered in the tutorials section? Post here!

Moderator: Core Staff

Vartazian
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Re: "MultiMaps" Idea for a map.

Post by Vartazian » February 7th, 2012, 5:34 pm

Rezil wrote:
LOL 5000. Mp_to_the_moon has about 1600 and that is considered a very large map.
Then I guess I overestimate the quality of cod4 maps. My bad.
indeed lol :) but hmmm copycat...what do you mean "Port" the map without using the .map file? i don't understand what that is / does. Also, interesting.. and i do not see any fps drops when switching worlds like that.. in fact on your machine it went up by 1 fps. I'm also guessing that the map does not have a custom skybox because i didn't think that was possible, but this is a sky in the mod you used? lol.

Copy-Cat
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Copy-Cat » February 7th, 2012, 5:52 pm

The process of porting the map is not new to me. "This is not my first camping trip, Cowboy" (Swat3 Reference)

The following link takes you to my forums on my dedicated website for a very much loved game called Swat 3 TGOTY.
It explains in detail the process I use to port the map, the only difference is the resizing of the map before exporting to .map for radiant.

COD4 WetWork Progress "The Making of..."

Yes the skybox is standard thruought all the codjumper maps, it's part of the mod. A wopping 32 MB file with all the possible skyboxes. (there is got to be an easier way to do this). Unfortunately, you guys are correct there is no practical way to create multiple "texture" skyboxes for each map.

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » February 7th, 2012, 10:44 pm

Just as a side comment...

If it's meant to be a map for everyone to play, so they can play beginner and expert maps at the same time on the server, then I would make the following changes:

1. Remove the need to 'jump' to a map, if it's a particularly hard jump (for example, the jump to get to mp_peds_propel is probably not doable for a beginner jumper).
2. If you are going to keep the idea of a jump to a map, then make the start area much larger so that many people can do the jumps at the same time - currently if you put this map on a server I would imagine everyone will be blocking at the start and nobody will get anywhere.

Mirko
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by Mirko » February 8th, 2012, 6:45 am

great idea although with what maps to do i think u should do something like this

1 or 2 extreme maps (mp_dark, mp_to_the_moon

1 or 2 hard but not extreme maps (mp_needs_skills, mp_canyon)

1 or 2 intermediate maps (mp_cave, mp_lawless_v2)

1 or 2 easy maps (peds_propel, bouncer_training)

and mp_codjumper_training and mp_mega

all maps are only examples.

with the maps at the moment, people like me cant do the extremely hard ones but can fly through intermediate maps and easy. its the maps in between which are great fun.

megazor
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by megazor » February 8th, 2012, 7:28 am

once again, better make a freerun map! just a large freerun type map.
Last edited by megazor on February 8th, 2012, 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vartazian
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by Vartazian » February 8th, 2012, 10:57 am

megazor wrote:
Rezil wrote:If your maps contain less than 5000 brushes, you are a fucking lazy retarded tasteless asshole NOOB and should go and kill youself against the wall right now.
LOL
k. my map has probably the top ten highest brush count for any cj map in cod4. its not the number of brushes that makes a map good anyway. lol. you don't play cod4 do you? cod2 maps more brushes than cod4 maps. the end.

Goro92
CJ Spammer!
CJ Spammer!

Post by Goro92 » February 8th, 2012, 11:12 am

Vartazian wrote:
megazor wrote:
Rezil wrote:If your maps contain less than 5000 brushes, you are a fucking lazy retarded tasteless asshole NOOB and should go and kill youself against the wall right now.
LOL
k. my map has probably the top ten highest brush count for any cj map in cod4. its not the number of brushes that makes a map good anyway. lol. you don't play cod4 do you? cod2 maps more brushes than cod4 maps. the end.
nope...i'm working on a map that has over 8000 brushes

i think that a lot of cod4 cj maps have 5000+ brushes

Rezil
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Rezil » February 8th, 2012, 4:18 pm

megazor wrote:
LOL
Stop being a retard megazor.
You, sir, have just been trolled.
Drofder2004: Drofder's rules for reviewing a map
[...]
#5 If your name is Rezil, minimum 5/5.
---
<LT>YosemiteSam[NL]:
I heard somewhere that the best way to start is juggling 2 balls with one hand, so you will get a feel for it.

Vartazian
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by Vartazian » February 8th, 2012, 6:40 pm

lal i suppose i have :x

SmokingJoePot
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe
Gamertag: SmokinqJoePot
PSN ID: SmokingJoePot

Post by SmokingJoePot » February 8th, 2012, 8:00 pm

Thats an awesome idea. This gives jumpers alot of time to jump between map votes. I have an I idea I told my brother just now. Port the MW2 map the Terminal and take the mini mall and escalator and make that the start of the map like a lobby and have them go up the escalator and turn to the right and browse the stores and at the top of each store have Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced and Impossible. Then in each store have the props that the store comes with, it looks like a mall with bounces and levels and a great place to hang out before you choose your destination. Then to go in a store like Beginner and go to a shelf with dvds that say mp_strafe_jumps and your teleported to that map. Then call it the mp_mall, LOL. Just alot of ideas, not sure though, Im brainstorming and making stuff up as I go.

SmokingJoePot
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe
Gamertag: SmokinqJoePot
PSN ID: SmokingJoePot

Post by SmokingJoePot » February 8th, 2012, 8:55 pm

My brother Copy-Cat has even rigged character models for cod4. He can probably include Sonic the hedgehog, Bumble bee from transformers or spiderman in the map since models can be added to the mod.ff of the map. I'd love to do jumps on mp_sonic as Sonic the hedgehog if possible, lol.

iCYsoldier
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by iCYsoldier » February 8th, 2012, 10:48 pm

It would be a decent idea, but you'd probably need to get the map files, scripts, and custom textures & models from the original mapper, but I don't think they would be to comfortable giving them out. Hopefully you could make it work, but it seems a bit unlikely.

Copy-Cat
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Copy-Cat » February 11th, 2012, 9:55 pm

Since last post I have ported mp_bouncer_training, it took about 3 hours with textures and portals.
Pedsdude wrote:If it's meant to be a map for everyone to play, so they can play beginner and expert maps at the same time on the server, then I would make the following changes:

1. Remove the need to 'jump' to a map, if it's a particularly hard jump (for example, the jump to get to mp_peds_propel is probably not doable for a beginner jumper).
2. If you are going to keep the idea of a jump to a map, then make the start area much larger so that many people can do the jumps at the same time - currently if you put this map on a server I would imagine everyone will be blocking at the start and nobody will get anywhere.
I have since changed the original room layout to which you portal to the other worlds.

I am still planning on using my original plan with the rock maze, just haven't decide on how.

I have not received confirmation from the pm's and emails I have sent to any of the maps on the maplist. :(

I am asking anyone who has ties with any of the mappers of the maplist to contact them about this forum thread, hopefully I can get some confirmation on the mapslist.

Havana
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Havana » February 11th, 2012, 10:30 pm

This reminds me of a CoD1 map which also had 4 areas to jump. (Gaps, easy, intermediate and a hard section. Areas were different from each other too, as in this project.)
Though, this was 1 large map, not several maps combined.

Anyway, I like the plan. Might actually play CoD4 to give your map a test. :)

MiKeY-B0Y
CJ Newbie
CJ Newbie

Post by MiKeY-B0Y » March 6th, 2012, 12:39 am

if i still had my bouncer_training m8 you could have it but i am afraid i dont have the .map file but thanks for the PM
Chavkilla.com | My Custom Maps / Mods / Skins Website
Follow me on Twitter @Chavkilla