mp_Manics-jumper-b2

Have a jump map that we don't have on our site? Let us know!

Moderator: Core Staff

<LT>YosemiteSam[NL]
Core Staff
Core Staff

Re: mp_Manics-jumper-b2

Post by <LT>YosemiteSam[NL] » April 23rd, 2011, 1:58 pm

KillerSam wrote:This conversation isn't going to get anywhere tbh. The point people are trying to make to you Steve is that if you took more pride in your work and care over the map, slowed down, and improved teh quality (drastically tbh) then you'd be capable of making some good maps. As it stands you are producing maps that I honestly believe many people could slap together in a couple of hours without much bother. People really want to see quality, themed maps and you are capable of making them, just you chose to release really low quality maps.
I think it's frustration from people tbh that there is an active mapper releasing very low quality maps quickly, instead of good quality maps that you've taken more time and care over.
Look at most servers, the better quality maps tend to get played more and more, because they are crafted in such a way that each jump is fun and the surroundings are nice.

If you want to release poor quality maps (which they are, just look at the lack of attention you've given to texturing in the above screenshots) then fine nobody is stopping you, but a lot of people would like to see nicer maps made.
Couldn't agree more, well spoken/typed Sam !

steveuk
CJ G0D!
CJ G0D!

Post by steveuk » April 23rd, 2011, 2:50 pm

Practice make perfect, these are Practice maps, ie, test maps. to me BETA, as you say time taking will make better maps, so why cant i just make some quick maps to get the hang of things again.???

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » April 23rd, 2011, 3:38 pm

Just to clarify, as a new mapper, I have no problem with these maps... no matter how much they make me feel a little queasy :P

My personal opinion is this: as a "trial" maps and for the learning experience, you should NOT release them. Keep them as projects. Do not expect them to be liked, they are beginner pieces, playing "chopsticks" on the Piano is a starting point, but you wouldn't take that in to the public domain and expect a round of applause.

I have many, many small map files, mostly small pieces of mapping to simply learn techniques and a few larger projects that were heading in the direction of releasable maps.

My advice would be to NOT start with a straight forward platform jump map, but build objects, houses, structures, scenery, etc. Building these random platforms is not helping you become a better mapper. Anyone can make a few squares and compile them.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

Goro92
CJ Spammer!
CJ Spammer!

Post by Goro92 » April 23rd, 2011, 4:06 pm

Drofder2004 wrote:Just to clarify, as a new mapper, I have no problem with these maps... no matter how much they make me feel a little queasy :P

My personal opinion is this: as a "trial" maps and for the learning experience, you should NOT release them. Keep them as projects. Do not expect them to be liked, they are beginner pieces, playing "chopsticks" on the Piano is a starting point, but you wouldn't take that in to the public domain and expect a round of applause.

I have many, many small map files, mostly small pieces of mapping to simply learn techniques and a few larger projects that were heading in the direction of releasable maps.

My advice would be to NOT start with a straight forward platform jump map, but build objects, houses, structures, scenery, etc. Building these random platforms is not helping you become a better mapper. Anyone can make a few squares and compile them.

I agree completely.

<LT>YosemiteSam[NL]
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by <LT>YosemiteSam[NL] » April 23rd, 2011, 5:04 pm

Drofder2004 wrote:, playing "chopsticks" on the Piano is a starting point, but you wouldn't take that in to the public domain and expect a round of applause.
Wow, very nice comparison and so true :)

H0mie
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe
Gamertag: H0mie@MP3

Post by H0mie » April 24th, 2011, 2:21 am

wow...one line of advice.....out of ?30? lines of mock
There is no hard or easy, its all about skill!

<LT>YosemiteSam[NL]
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by <LT>YosemiteSam[NL] » April 24th, 2011, 1:29 pm

H0mie wrote:wow...one line of advice.....out of ?30? lines of mock
Critisism is often mistaken for mock.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » April 24th, 2011, 11:20 pm

<LT>YosemiteSam[NL] wrote:
H0mie wrote:wow...one line of advice.....out of ?30? lines of mock
Critisism is often mistaken for mock.
Only be people who cannot take or understand bad criticism.
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."

H0mie
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe
Gamertag: H0mie@MP3

Post by H0mie » April 25th, 2011, 12:07 pm

<LT>YosemiteSam[NL] wrote: Oh well don't take our advice. Seems to me you are a rush-man anyway (this is not a troll btw), I mean ;

- Screenshots aren't nicely resized (took too long ?)
- You don't bother to check the text you wrote ("mAY LAST MAPPING ATTEMPTED" ???)
- You typed a few lines and halfway you noticed that the caps was on so you typed a line saying your caps is stuck instead of retyping the text with shift held down (I mean neat = the way to go imo)

Typical signs of someone with no eye for detail.
nc..............
There is no hard or easy, its all about skill!

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » April 25th, 2011, 1:04 pm

H0mie wrote:
<LT>YosemiteSam[NL] wrote: Oh well don't take our advice. Seems to me you are a rush-man anyway (this is not a troll btw), I mean ;

- Screenshots aren't nicely resized (took too long ?)
- You don't bother to check the text you wrote ("mAY LAST MAPPING ATTEMPTED" ???)
- You typed a few lines and halfway you noticed that the caps was on so you typed a line saying your caps is stuck instead of retyping the text with shift held down (I mean neat = the way to go imo)

Typical signs of someone with no eye for detail.
nc..............
Not sure what "nc" means, but he is right. The people who are often to lazy to present themselves are often the people to lazy to map detail. It is valid criticism, whether or not it is liked.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » April 25th, 2011, 1:08 pm

KillerSam wrote:nc = no comment :?:
Quoting somebody and putting no comment....

Not sure if that is considered irony, probably not.

F |Madness| U
CJ G0D!
CJ G0D!

Post by F |Madness| U » April 25th, 2011, 1:50 pm

This thread is fucked up.
-

<LT>YosemiteSam[NL]
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by <LT>YosemiteSam[NL] » April 25th, 2011, 3:08 pm

xSnipeZx wrote:This thread is fucked up.
I agree....I'm sorry :)

iRaiinyy
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by iRaiinyy » April 27th, 2011, 6:56 pm

well the map looks good and im one of those people who love to just bounce around and have fun soo ill try this map out
AMD Gaming Custom Maps Only CoDJumper Server: 178.32.56.98:28960
Xfire: Wiickedneszzx

The Jumper <3: i know a girl she is 15
The Jumper <3: and have big titts
rB|iRaiinyy*@TuneChii: o.O BREAST IMPLANTS
The Jumper <3: with 15 ?
The Jumper <3: she just take the pills.

Creep
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by Creep » May 8th, 2011, 1:21 pm

sry about my critism, but it's soo ugly :S I never jumped in CoD4, and I never understood why do you people make maps with ugly textures and past+copy floating pads with the same texture. Omg please press that alt+right mouse button and change the textures' position at least. And don't use small textures for huge walls, or press that fu*in S button and make it much bigger than the original size... :S but I think these won't help on this :SS I have never been malicious but I will never understood this :S If somebody make a map, try to make it playable and not booring.... and I think every map is a piece of the maker's personality and fantasy, but I don't see anything on this :D