[CoD2] jm_virtual

Have a jump map that we don't have on our site? Let us know!

Moderator: Core Staff

MasterThomy
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

[CoD2] jm_virtual

Post by MasterThomy » February 12th, 2011, 11:07 pm

Well took me long enough, but I made my 2nd map, jm_virtual :D

EDIT:
It's finally finished with (hopefully) no bugs! :wink:
You don't necessarily need a jumpmod for this map.

Download link: http://www41.zippyshare.com/v/10763659/file.html

This map is not an ordinary jumpmap, I've created some never before seen jump mechanics that doesn't always have to do with actual jump skills.
I'm not gonna say anything about the story, but there is one...if you get that far :twisted:

Some things never/rarely seen before:

- Checkpoints instead of saving (it's better this way trust me)
- Several music loops according to which part of the map you are currently
- Slick jumps/bounces
- (Sort of) moving Lava
- Jumping against the clock (literally)
- Boss fight 8)
- The Bonus area (no spoilers included...)
And a few more...

The map is divided into 9 main parts + prologue and epilogue parts, so it's pretty long (I finished in 35 mins), but I don't think you'll get bored of it (at least I hope so..).
But it needs some patience and some tricks that you'll have to find out yourself.

Also as an extra treat/trivia I'm releasing the predecessor of this map, jm_temple.
Play it after playing jm_virtual, so you can see the similarities :)
(and it's not finished nor I'm sure it's possible to jump it, but it's just a bonus)
You can get it here: http://www43.zippyshare.com/v/67387959/file.html

Enjoy ^^
Last edited by MasterThomy on February 16th, 2011, 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ex CoD2 mapper/modder.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Re: [CoD2] jm_virtual

Post by Drofder2004 » February 12th, 2011, 11:10 pm

MasterThomy wrote:Oh, and as a pre-warning, do not play this map with r_gamma less then 2 :roll:
Srsly?

Also, link to xfire shots?
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

lamEA...
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by lamEA... » February 13th, 2011, 1:26 am

Drofder2004 wrote:Also, link to xfire shots?
You can find it, if you copy his xfire user name to xfire finder. Apologies to me, i guess you've already know that, but i think its not take so much time. :|

By the way, there is the link to his xfire shots :wink: : http://www.xfire.com/profile/thomy48/sc ... #110664746

-------------------

And my viewpoint:

My first thinking' about your map, i love those spinning platform, i see u had lots of work with it :) . However the lava under of it can be better. I mean you shall put there some terrain texture, because i am really not like it as a square. Or you can make lava flowing :wink: (<-- Not found a better translation).

"In pyramid" picture: It's okay. But i didn't like the platform. It's looks ugly, because of those floor texture. You shall make an interesting platform with different textures. :wink:

I haven't played on this map yet, so i am waiting to your map excited. This map is not the best in design, but i hope the feeling will be awesome, as on your first map. :mrgreen:
Nothing...yet...

MasterThomy
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by MasterThomy » February 13th, 2011, 2:16 pm

Drofder2004 wrote:
MasterThomy wrote:Oh, and as a pre-warning, do not play this map with r_gamma less then 2 :roll:
Srsly?
Nah, I've added a miniscule ambient light so it's a little better now.
Ex CoD2 mapper/modder.

Rezil
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Rezil » February 15th, 2011, 2:40 pm

Interesting, when are you going to post a download link?

--

Based on the screenshots it looks like jm_descend part 2 to be honest. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it just means that the scripting better be good because descend nearly gave me a seizure from all the colors! ;)
Drofder2004: Drofder's rules for reviewing a map
[...]
#5 If your name is Rezil, minimum 5/5.
---
<LT>YosemiteSam[NL]:
I heard somewhere that the best way to start is juggling 2 balls with one hand, so you will get a feel for it.

lamEA...
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by lamEA... » February 15th, 2011, 4:26 pm

Rezil wrote:Interesting, when are you going to post a download link?
Maybe today or tomorrow, but this map already have several bugs. So it's gonna take sometimes. :(
Rezil wrote:Based on the screenshots it looks like jm_descend part 2 to be honest.
Yes it is :). The spawn area is same but the story and the entire map is new.

I've already tested it. Awesome map, with lots of challenges. It's a hard one, but there is no need expert jumpskill to finish it. Peoples need to be faster, smarter, hard-worker and patient there. :P
Nothing...yet...

MasterThomy
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by MasterThomy » February 16th, 2011, 12:09 am

It's not necessarily a bad thing, it just means that the scripting better be good because descend nearly gave me a seizure from all the colors! ;)
It will be. :)

I have to fix some issues we found during the second test (damn you f12), and hopefully i can release it tomorrow (or today actually).
Ex CoD2 mapper/modder.

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » February 16th, 2011, 2:37 pm

Just from reading your first post I'm pretty sure this'll be an obvious 5 star rated map :P
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

MasterThomy
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by MasterThomy » February 16th, 2011, 11:38 pm

It's finished, download link and some other info in first post.
Ex CoD2 mapper/modder.

Si13n7
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Si13n7 » February 17th, 2011, 4:00 pm

I hate the checkpoint system... :roll:

I played this map 40min, i'm not finished... How long is this map? :?

I don't like all textures, but this map is really amazing... :) I don't like Part II, laser and spining room... :roll: These next parts are really cool... :)

Great job... ;)

Rezil
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Rezil » February 17th, 2011, 7:34 pm

Wow, this is a huge map. I'm going to comment on the indivudual sections and then give my final impressions at the bottom.

Prologue:

Well, it's basically the same beginning as jm_descend, the same four jumps. I like the idea of the two maps being connected and establishing the story(even though there really isn't that much to establish but still).

Part I:

First off, the surrounding area looks awful, you could've put more effort into the mountains and the lava texture(at least go for 1024x1024 so it doesn't look as repetitive). Lava moving up and down is not exactly the way fluids work but I'll let it slide because I know how hard it is to simulate fluids in CoD2. I like the textures and the jumps seem a bit on the easier side. You could've just teleported the person back to the checkpoint and not kill them. While constant deaths aren't that big of an issue here because of the easy jumps, it gets way more frustrating later on.

Part II:

'I feel really stupid just jumping down holes like this...'. This made me laugh quite a bit. :) The blue chamber is quite new, I've only seen it done in one other map and I don't believe that map was released to the public(was made by Cheesy from UJ). If I'm not mistaken, you just turn the player angles upside down, right? Anyway, I liked the idea but I feel it dragged on for too long, you should've set the view back to normal after you get the blue key. In the red chamber you could've at least
put one more checkpoint in the middle but other than that, it's quite fun save for all the dying. The green chamber is the one that was the most fun for me, this hasn't been done before(at least not in that particular way) and it was perfectly paced.

Part III:

This part. This FUCKING part. I can't even begin to tell you how much I hate this part. But I'm going to anyway. First off, you have to do all of this in one go, no checkpoints in between, no splitting it up into two parts, no nothing. You just have to die over and over and over and over again until you get it perfectly done. I'm sure it's not just me, people are going to have a difficult time with this part. Seriously, how hard can it be to just make two parts on it: one when the platform is going slow and the other when it speeds up. And if you want people to do it in one go you could've at least given them three tries to do so and not kill them every time they fail. The other half of that section is a bit better, at least you don't die as much.

Part IV:

Ok the first 'CoD4' bounce is pretty cool, again I've seen it in Cheesy's map but nevermind. I wonder how you make the slippery substance, does it have something to do with the terrain patch? That's the only way I can think of accelerating that way. The second bounce is much harder. Again, why is there lava at the bottom, you could've just teleported the player back to the top...I've only done that jump once and don't plan on doing it again any time soon. The other parts with the slippery substance are way more fun, especially the small slippery pathway leading to the ladder. The accelerator was already done, again in one of Cheesy's maps. :D

Part V:

Getting the scuba gear is hard but as long as you memorize the pattern, it's doable. Again, why do you force people to do the same jumps over again? I found the way back more frustrating than getting the actual scuba gear. The underwater part has some kick-ass music in it, the second half(after you refill your oxygen tank) seemed much harder to me for some reason, made it with 2 seconds remaining heh. The crumbling cylinders were fun to jump across.

Part VI:

Ladder overkill? Yeah, sound about right, way too many ladders for my taste, so I basically noclipped through this part, so I can't really comment on it. Again, some kick-ass music here too! I did the part after the huge room, that was fun as well, although you really should've eased up on the ladders.

Part VII:

My favorite part of the map, incorporates most of what you had to do individually and that's what makes it fun. Again the checkpoints are a bit scarce but with persistence it's not that difficult. Except for the book jump, that one is not as easy as it seems at first glance. :)

Part VIII:

One of the hardest parts of the entire map. Starts off easy enough but the difficulty quickly escalates. One checkpoint per floor? Again, WHY? It never hurts to have more checkpoints, especially when it's up to the user whether he wants to use the checkpoint or not. How big is the last jump?

Part IX:

As far as boss fights go, this wasn't really a fight, per se. Pushing a giant button is hardly considered a fight. ;) Nice part, apart from the damn lasers before you enter the boss. Those are quite frustrating.

Conclusion:

All in all, I enjoyed the map. There are quite a few parts when killing the player is not exactly the best thing to do and could've been avoided. Sometimes the difficulty surges and sometimes it's easier than expected. Some parts could've been shortened(or rather NOT artificially lengthened->doing the same jumps to get back to your original position). The design is lacking in many places but I guess that wasn't the point of the map, for me it seemed that it was more jump oriented than design oriented. As far as sequels go, it tops the original(assuming this is a sequel to jm_descend) but could have been improved. I found the map innovative, fun and challenging. One last thing, what are the secrets for, I've only found three out of nine but I haven't found any use for them.

If you've read all of this, give yourself a cookie because this is one of the longest posts I ever posted here. :D
Drofder2004: Drofder's rules for reviewing a map
[...]
#5 If your name is Rezil, minimum 5/5.
---
<LT>YosemiteSam[NL]:
I heard somewhere that the best way to start is juggling 2 balls with one hand, so you will get a feel for it.

MasterThomy
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by MasterThomy » February 17th, 2011, 11:36 pm

Rezil wrote:If you've read all of this, give yourself a cookie because this is one of the longest posts I ever posted here. :D
I don't have any cookies at the moment :(

Anyway, yes I guess you're right at some points.
Like I could've put some more checkpoints, maybe at some parts...
And yes i could've used teleports instead of lava, but meh...

Some arguments:
I think the upside-down part was the part most people wanted to kill me for, but you just have to get the hang of it (I think this goes for all of the map).
As for part 3, I don't think it's THAT hard, again, once you get the hang of it, and it would take away a lot if i just cut it in 2 parts.
The slippery thing is just a slick attribute for the material. :wink:
You missed a lot in part 6, like the most genius trick on the whole map :)
On part 8 I didn't put checkpoints between levels, because, well there are lasers there, and anyway it was supposed to make you give up :P (see story dialogue).
Last jump: Well it was 320 in first version when an extension actually appeared, now its just always there. :P
Ye, part 9 is not technically a boss fight, but I wanted to make it "global", and this was the best way.

And yes it is a sequel...sort of.
Oh and I'm not telling what the bonus is, find all secrets, they're not really hidden, maybe 1 or 2 is hard to find, keep looking :wink:

Anyway thx for the feedback. :D
Ex CoD2 mapper/modder.