Starting a new map..

Have questions about CoD2 mapping that aren't covered in the tutorials section? Post here!

Moderator: Core Staff

Mossy
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Starting a new map..

Post by Mossy » September 20th, 2006, 2:42 pm

Hi, been jumping abit and thought there really needs to be some new maps in cod2 as alot of people are getting bored with current ones. So far i've set my map out to have;
A Gap area,
An Easy, Hard version and if needed Ultra (for the pro's on here :) )

I've done all the basic tutorials but the only one i've struggled on is the lightning so could anyone help me with that? As i don't know whats needed for the light, as when i press N to open the values it only comes up with Classname and origin, what other values will i need for a light? I know the inner circles of each light cannot touch, but i've looked at the example of a light on matmata and it has a radius and other values, i'm guessing these are what i need but how do i enable these?

Also is it ok using a spawn box for the height of a player? such as the height, width and length of the box can be used for what the height and width of a player would be?

For the gap area i've used the units in Radiant as the lengths of the gap, so 220 units in radiant would be a 220 gap length (it seemed logical so i went with it). Also the platforms to jump from on the gaps are 80 in width and 144 in length, are these big enough?

Oh and i could do with some info on heights for such as
a 125fps jump up onto a block, like whats the maximum height possible on a 125 fps jump?
suitable gap lengths for;
A easy map? such as SC_Mega gap lengths, would 150 gaps be suitable?
A hard map would 220 be suitable or should they be more 230+?
A Ultra map be 235+?

Also how should i build my map to make sure a player would have 125 fps easily throughout the map? After making my map i'll plan on doing abit of scripting for elevators and portals and also opening doors.

Anyway if you can answer any of my questions thanks in advance, also i don't mind abit of criticism against my map as we all have to learn some way :wink:

All-Killer
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by All-Killer » September 20th, 2006, 3:10 pm

To add lights just rightclick in youre 2d grid and select light. If you want youre light lighter than normal you need to grab a value bigger than 300 so. light = 300<....

The max a 125 fps jump is 39 unites hight. (correct me if im wrong)

And the player demensions:

Code: Select all

The unit scale in CoD seems to be about 1 unit : 1 inch. (roughly)

1 unit = 1 inch in CoD.
1 foot = 12 units in CoD.

Players are 72 units or 6 feet high.
Players are 32 units wide.

Stairs in CoD are 8-12 units high.
Doors are 52x96 units in CoD (dawnville). Door thickness is 4-6 units.

Ladder rungs on a ladder that is in Dawnville are 24 units appart.It looks kind of silly. In real life this would be more like 12 units.

Outter walls are 8 units thick. I made inner walls 6.

Sidewalks 64 units wide and 8 units high

Height to ceiling is normally 128, but then again it all depends if its a anormal room, warehouse or what your creating.

Player Height Clearance =< 71 units
Player Crouch Clearance =< 51 units
Player Prone Clearance =< 31 units
Player Max Jump =< 39 units
Player Width Clearance =< 31 units

Luke
Past/Inactive Team Member

Post by Luke » September 20th, 2006, 3:17 pm

Hi, welcome to the community

The minimum keys/values you need to add for lights to work are colour and radius. When you select a light and press N it will just have the classname and origin. Above that is an info box, which tells you all the values you can add for a light.
"radius" controls the cutoff distance of the light. The light falloff texture maps its left side to the light origin and the right side to the radius. The rightmost pixel in the falloff texture is assumed to be black.

All you need to do is type in radius for the key, and a number for the value, which will be the radius size in units of the light, then press return to apply the values.
To add colour, select the light, press K, and choose the colour. I think white is most commom for more natural artificial lights.

I think a spawn box is actually the correct size, if not very close, but most people use actors to guage the size. I seem to have forgotten the exact sizes, but i'll find out if noone else knows.

Edit: sizes were posted above, but I was still correct :P Also it's 40 units high a player can jump with 125fps

For gaps, yes the way I do it is by drawing a brush from the first platform to the length I want the jump, then draw the next or copy the first one to the end of that brush. make sure they are all on the same plane, i.e both platforms are the same height and inline.

To get the best performance out the map, it needs to be well made for a start. Theres some good tips in this thread you should check out http://codjumper.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1629

Portals can help also, but are useless on some maps, it depends on the design of the map. Check the tutorals section for more on this.
Watch this before posting a question: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Mossy
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Mossy » September 20th, 2006, 7:09 pm

Ok i've come up against a problem, i've followed Nightmares tutorials on how to create a moving platform but i want to move mine on the Z axis, now in the 2 notepad sections i've altered them so it moves along Z axis but i don't know how put where my block is in notepad (the origin values i think it is).
The edes of my block are;

Z= 640
NE X=72
   Y= -528
SE X= 72
   Y= -672
SW X= -72
   Y= -672
NW X= -72
   Y= -528
and i'm moving it to

Z= 128
NE X=72
   Y= -528
SE X= 72
   Y= -672
SW X= -72
   Y= -672
NW X= -72
   Y= -528
I have all the corners were they will end up but i just don't know how to put them in this line in the notepad file

platform moveZ (640,2,0.5,0.5); 
As i said about i changed the moveY to MoveZ but thats it, the rest of the code is from NM's tut :wink:

Luke

Post by Luke » September 20th, 2006, 7:50 pm

When you use the movex/y/z command, it doesn't use the actual coordinates of the map, it just moves along the axis at a specified number of units. so platform moveZ (640,2,0.5,0.5); is going to move 640 units up, on the z axis in 2 seconds. the 0.5, 0.5 are the accel/decel times. Also the very centre of the brushmodel is the origin which it will move from.
If you want to make something move to specific coordinates you need to use the moveto command instead, and brushmodels need to be made with an origin brush. Then you can use this for example platform moveTo((2524, 1535, -198), 6, 4, 2); which means ((x, y, z), time, accel, decel);

It looks like you're trying to move the platform down 512 units, so you could simply use movez like this:
platform moveZ (-512,2,0.5,0.5);
Watch this before posting a question: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Mossy
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Mossy » September 20th, 2006, 8:00 pm

Ok thanks alot for that :wink: Being new i'm still getting my head around it all so thanks for helping me out :lol:

Mossy
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Mossy » September 21st, 2006, 5:01 pm

Ok i'm trying to build some mine carts for my map, i've got the cart but i'm having trouble with the wheels, i make a cylinder but i cannont make any ends to fit flush to end the of the cylinder. I've tried making a squre brush, clipping it down and then rotating it into place and welding but it just doesn't do it for me :P The only other solution i've found is to have mine carts like alloy wheels,

All-Killer
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by All-Killer » September 21st, 2006, 5:47 pm

Hmm that are hard wheels i dont know how to make those round circles but you can do it so:

And if someone can tell me how to make those round circles please tell me

Edit found it myself

Make a patch.

Make a cylinder of it.

shift+ctrl+t

Press ok

You have a nice thick cylinder

Post by Guest » September 21st, 2006, 6:54 pm

Now you know how to make a round circle it wont be hard to make those wheels.

All-Killer
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by All-Killer » September 21st, 2006, 6:54 pm

That was mine post sorry :oops:

Mossy
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Mossy » September 21st, 2006, 7:02 pm

Ahhh thanks :D As you can probably tell now i'm making a mine map, so far i've got a spawn room and a room with a couple of jumps of mine carts, there about 180 jumps as i'm making the easy map first :lol: , then you go through a tunnel and into another room where you had to slide down some broken rail tracks although at the moment they look abit too new so i'll need to clip them abit. I plan on making abit of a room each day so hopefully it'll be a steady progression and i'll try and make it not have any bottlenecks (can't promise that one :wink: )