Light doesn't show in map

Have questions about CoD2 mapping that aren't covered in the tutorials section? Post here!

Moderator: Core Staff

<LT>YosemiteSam[NL]
Core Staff
Core Staff

Light doesn't show in map

Post by <LT>YosemiteSam[NL] » April 10th, 2011, 11:24 pm

I have made a "neonsign" and added light to it but the scriptbrush model letters don't reflect the light...anyone know why ?
Here is a pic;
Trust me I've put enough light in there, maybe cause the letters are moving they don't reflect ? I don't think so but you'll never know :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rezil
Core Staff
Core Staff

Re: Light doesn't show in map

Post by Rezil » April 10th, 2011, 11:35 pm

All the lights bouncing off of a brushmodel(or any moving entity for that matter, save for actors I think) get calculated only once. To have dynamic lights, you need to create an effect. A thing to note though, dynamic lights are only visible with DirectX9.

I'm assuming your text starts off hidden somewhere(no lights/only sunlight bouncing off) which is why there's no change in the lighting of the letters.
Drofder2004: Drofder's rules for reviewing a map
[...]
#5 If your name is Rezil, minimum 5/5.
---
<LT>YosemiteSam[NL]:
I heard somewhere that the best way to start is juggling 2 balls with one hand, so you will get a feel for it.

IzNoGoD
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by IzNoGoD » April 10th, 2011, 11:41 pm

Make it translucent (can that even be done?) and put some lights behind it.

Otherwise, you could use the texture used for objectives in SP, cause it has a nice moving glow around it (read this on modsonline some time ago xD). You seem to be able to customize the color of it too then :D
LMGTFY!

Its not a glitch... Its the future!

<LT>YosemiteSam[NL]
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by <LT>YosemiteSam[NL] » April 11th, 2011, 12:03 am

Rezil wrote:I'm assuming your text starts off hidden somewhere(no lights/only sunlight bouncing off) which is why there's no change in the lighting of the letters.
That is the case ..yeah.
Otherwise, you could use the texture used for objectives in SP, cause it has a nice moving glow around it (read this on modsonline some time ago xD). You seem to be able to customize the color of it too then
aha ok, I'll see if i can find it.
I also tried a script_model light which follows all letters but the timing with that is a pain in the ass :?
But I think the script model light does add light to the letters...have to check that to be sure.

Thx guys

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » April 11th, 2011, 12:38 pm

Place the letters off map somewhere and place a few bright lights infront of them, then at runtime, move the letters. It wont be dynamic but the letters should be brighter.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

<LT>YosemiteSam[NL]
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by <LT>YosemiteSam[NL] » April 11th, 2011, 4:10 pm

Drofder2004 wrote:Place the letters off map somewhere and place a few bright lights infront of them, then at runtime, move the letters. It wont be dynamic but the letters should be brighter.
I'll try that aswell, I'll see what is more to my liking.
I lso thought of building a big transparent brush around the letters...maybe that reflects light ? Have to try that when I get home tonight.

Rezil
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Rezil » April 11th, 2011, 7:31 pm

Nothing 'reflects' normal lights, light bounces are calculated only during compile time. That's why shadows look like shit in CoD2, it gives you a better performance at the cost of graphics. On the other hand, dynamic lights(ones made with the CoD2 FX Editor) are able to cast shadows and illuminate an area dynamically. They require more work and knowledge of scripting/effects, but they're not that difficult to set up.
Drofder2004: Drofder's rules for reviewing a map
[...]
#5 If your name is Rezil, minimum 5/5.
---
<LT>YosemiteSam[NL]:
I heard somewhere that the best way to start is juggling 2 balls with one hand, so you will get a feel for it.

<LT>YosemiteSam[NL]
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by <LT>YosemiteSam[NL] » April 12th, 2011, 3:31 pm

Rezil wrote:Nothing 'reflects' normal lights, light bounces are calculated only during compile time. That's why shadows look like shit in CoD2, it gives you a better performance at the cost of graphics. On the other hand, dynamic lights(ones made with the CoD2 FX Editor) are able to cast shadows and illuminate an area dynamically. They require more work and knowledge of scripting/effects, but they're not that difficult to set up.
Maybe I'm going to fool around with the efeect editor some more. I'm very eager to learn.