moving handrails

Have a question about modding, modelling or skinning? Have a tutorial to post? Post here!

Moderator: Core Staff

megazor
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

moving handrails

Post by megazor » September 16th, 2010, 12:42 pm

i want to make handrails for my escalator. i want them to be both realistic and moving.

i tried realizing it with many small brushmodels moving one after another so that they together might seem like an escalator handrail, but it looked ugly, because the brushmodels, when moving in an arch, werent making up a smooth circular surface - there were visible corners. to make it look more realistic, its necessary to decrease the size of the models and, obvious increase their amount. and, in addition to it, write a bigger script.

failed in making it with brushmodels, i decided to use a moving texture. i made one for straight parts of my handrail, but, regarding circular parts, i dont know how to make a texture rotate so that there are no seams between straight parts and rotating ones.

megazor
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Re: moving handrails

Post by megazor » September 16th, 2010, 12:43 pm

so it should be looking like that in-game, plus moving.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » September 16th, 2010, 7:38 pm

The only way of making it so no gaps appear is to essentailly overlap the brushes so that when it turns you will get a smoother look, but not great.
Another idea would be to simulate the turn by simply using a static brush to cover up the area where the gaps would be appearing.

Also, if you use an origin brush with your script_brushmodel you can reset your origin of the model outside of its usual bounds.
As for example:

Use that with the rotate function to get a smoother trasnsition (better than rotating the brush).
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

megazor
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by megazor » September 17th, 2010, 3:25 am

did i say there had been gaps between small moving brushes? i made it so that it all was ok, but looked NOT realistic, coz it wasnt a circle, it was an polyhedron. yes, pretty similar to a circle, but its corners spoiled its look. to get rid of it, to make it be very similar to a circle, i would have to create much more brushes.

also, my brushes didnt make up gaps between each other -> they had to overlap -> their textures conflicted -> it looked ugly.

so u gonna say i can do nothing with texturing to settle the issue?

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » September 17th, 2010, 7:30 pm

Misread.

To answer you question, no, unless you want to use multiple textures.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » September 17th, 2010, 11:40 pm

As Drofder said, it would probably be possible with multiple textures synchronized properly. I assume you used tcMod scroll for your moving textures? There is also a tcMod rotate command. Here, this manual has the most in depth information on CoD1 shader files I've ever found

http://toolz.nexuizninjaz.com/shader/sh ... ction6.htm
ImageImageImage
"Zaitsev is a cunt." - Pedsdude

megazor
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by megazor » September 18th, 2010, 2:09 am

i had tried rotating, but at little speed ('tcMod rotate 1' corresponds to it) it rotates NOT smoothly.

BatterY
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by BatterY » September 29th, 2010, 2:08 pm

Fill the gaps with brushes so that the gap is minimal.
handrail.png
That's my idea, but i don't know if drof said it already; didn't understand the pic:

Drofder2004 wrote: As for example:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

megazor
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by megazor » September 30th, 2010, 8:43 am

lol i had done it long time ago before u wrote that post. there WERE NOT gaps, but there were some texture issues and in addition a big amount of moving brushes decreased fps. then i decided to give it up.