Tutorials for Call of Duty 4 mapping

Moderator: Core Staff

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Bounce Jumps

Post by Soviet » August 11th, 2008, 6:45 pm

General Rules of Bounce Jumps

- Horizontal distance to jump has no effect on distance or height player bounces.
- The height versus distance ratio can be at most 4/3. That is, your initial height should never be more than 1.33 times your distance to the jump if you want a successful bounce jump. This is due to excessively high angles on anything more than that ratio.

250fps Bounce Jump Distance and Heights
table should also be accurate for 125fps jumping

Please keep in mind these numbers were rounded. The heights did actually increase consistently.

FPS Specific Bounce Jumping
Listed from GOOD to BAD
Keep in mind FPS is important. Test the fps of your map with lighting and make sure that most players can reach a required fps to make the bounce jumps you've put in. Always use good map design. The most important part of a map is making the players happy!

250fps

d = 2I

d - distance
I - initial height (player's z coordinate before jump - z coordinate of lowest part of slant)

h = I

h - maximum height reached during jump
I - initial height (player's z coordinate before jump - z coordinate of lowest part of slant)

----------------------------------------------------

Undefined FPS

with undefined fps jumping you tend to land about 128 units back from the typical 250/125 jump. Your height stays the same, however it is extremely difficult to get any type of bounce on heights like 320 or 384. Also remember that trying to jump distances with undefined fps is completely hopeless. When I did this test my fps was hovering around 500.

43fps

43fps works practically the same as 250 and 125 for distance. The height is maybe 20-32 units less than 250/125.

125fps

125fps will bounce you exactly as far as 250fps. The only difference is how far you can strafejump to get to the angle you're bouncing off of.

333fps

with 333fps you tend to land about 64units back from where you would land with 250 or 125. The height is roughly the same, however jumping from higher platforms tends to result in less success due to the floating nature of 333fps jumping.
ImageImageImage
"Zaitsev is a cunt." - Pedsdude

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bounce Jumps

Post by Pedsdude » August 11th, 2008, 8:27 pm

Very nice post :)

Deryk
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Deryk » February 10th, 2009, 2:10 am

I don't really understand any of the numbers in the chart or what each colum stands for, i am very new to mapping

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » February 10th, 2009, 3:42 am

don't worry about the chart, all you need to worry about is the colored text. All the chart shows in some of the data I collected during experimentation. When you are creating a brush, the numbers shown as dimensions for the brush are units. We use them as a measuring device to determine distances in Radiant.
ImageImageImage
"Zaitsev is a cunt." - Pedsdude

CX gamer
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by CX gamer » February 21st, 2010, 3:45 pm

Technically this is a necro-post.

What angle should the sloped surface be? Or does that not matter?
Soviet wrote:Technically all servers on MW2 are dedicated servers because they're all dedicated to sucking :wink:

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » February 21st, 2010, 4:32 pm

CX gamer
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by CX gamer » February 21st, 2010, 4:47 pm

Ooh thanks! That's very helpfull... :D

All my thanks belong to you ;)
Soviet wrote:Technically all servers on MW2 are dedicated servers because they're all dedicated to sucking :wink:

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » February 21st, 2010, 8:15 pm