Old games

General chat area for anything whatsoever

Moderator: Core Staff

BMC
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Old games

Post by BMC » March 13th, 2009, 6:21 pm

Hi guys. How you doin'? Long time no see :) I made this topic because I thought that some of you have got your first PC a very long time ago and you used to play games that time, and maybe now you would like to re-play them. I got my first in 1996 I think. Last week I remembered about the games I was playing that time. I wanted to play them again and I started searching them. Now here's the big problem: you can't run them on nowadays PCs. So here is a little tutorial about how to make those games work and of course, where to find them :)

Step 1: Go to http://www.squakenet.com/ and search the game. These games are abandoneware programs nowadays.

Step 2: Press on "Where to download "game name here" " button and you will be prompted to download the game in a zip file.

Step 3: You will notice that you won't be able to run the installer so... go to http://www.dosbox.com/ on the download section or simply press this button http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1 . From there download DOSBox for windows or whatever machine you have, and install it.

Step 4: Run the program. Don't be scared about the interface! It's very easy to use. The program looks like the "run" program from the windows. After you run the program you should have this line: Z:\> . If you want a tutorial from the program, type: "intro mount" (without quotes). If you want you can continue my tutorial. So now you have to mount a drive. The drive you are going to mount is the folder in which you extracted the game in.

Type this (example)
"mount f g:\program files\bioman" -> this will create a F drive with g:\program files\bioman as contents.
You may have to change the directory and folder names in order to make it work.

Step 5: After you typed that you will get a confirmation line which should look like this:
"Drive F is mounted as local directory G:\Program files\bioman"

Again, you line on which you can type remains Z:\>. In order to acces your new mounted directory type f: and press Enter (instead of "f" write the name of your drive). This will acces your drive.

Step 6: Some games, after you extract them are already installed, so you just have to type the name of the .exe file + extension .exe. It will look like this:
"bmenace1.exe" and press Enter. This will start the game in that little window.

Some games won't be already installed after you extract them so you will first have to install them.

Step 7: To install the game type "install.exe" and select the directory in which you want to install the game. After it installs, mount a new drive with the folder in which you installed the game, and then run the .exe file as described in step 6.

I hope this tutorial helps. If you need more help, or if for some reason it doesn't work, post a message below and I'll help you. Also, if you are looking for a game and you don't know it's name post a description below and maybe someone will help you out. Enjoy :D
Last edited by BMC on March 14th, 2009, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't care either way. I'm tired of you assholes thinking I'm gay just because I like squirrels and guys with sunglasses." - Soviet

JDogg
Too cool for CoDJumper
Too cool for CoDJumper

Re: Old games

Post by JDogg » March 14th, 2009, 12:32 am

Thanks for posting this dude, I found "The Incredible Machine", hours of fun back in the day. Oh shit Lemmings is there too :D.
EDIT:I'm having a problem, my main drive is C, so I put themachine folder into C:\Program Files\themachine, but when I type mount f C:\Program Files\themachine into dosbox it says "Directory C:\Program doesn't exist"

BMC
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by BMC » March 14th, 2009, 8:36 am

That happened to me too yesterday. Try to close and reopen the program. It worked for me.
"I don't care either way. I'm tired of you assholes thinking I'm gay just because I like squirrels and guys with sunglasses." - Soviet

JDogg
Too cool for CoDJumper
Too cool for CoDJumper

Post by JDogg » March 14th, 2009, 8:46 am

BMC wrote:That happened to me too yesterday. Try to close and reopen the program. It worked for me.
Still doesn't work, meh I put it at C:\themachine, works. :D I'm playing it!!!.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » March 15th, 2009, 5:34 pm

Because of the space. Instead of typing
C:\Program Files

Try

C:\Progra~1
or surround the folder in quotes.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

JDogg
Too cool for CoDJumper
Too cool for CoDJumper

Post by JDogg » March 16th, 2009, 6:12 am

Drofder2004 wrote:Because of the space. Instead of typing
C:\Program Files

Try

C:\Progra~1
or surround the folder in quotes.
Thanks.